Comparing Credit Cards’ Auto Rental Insurance

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/comparing-credit-cards-auto-rental-insurance/

Many credit card companies offer accident insurance when the cards are used to pay for a rental car. But details of coverage vary depending on the network behind the card, a report from CardHub.com finds.

Many people end up buying extra insurance when they rent a car because they are confused about whether their own auto policies cover them while driving rentals, as well as what sort of protection their credit cards may provide, the report says.

According to the Insurance Information Institute, an industry group, most automobile insurance policies cover a policyholder driving a rental. Details vary, though, and there are sometimes exclusions; some policies don’t cover a driver, for instance, who is renting while on business. So you should check with your insurance agent or company.

Read More: http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/comparing-credit-cards-auto-rental-insurance/

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the most useful posts I have read. Thanks very much. Sadly, it points out taht none of them would cover anything i usually rent. Luckily i've never had a need for a claim anyway.

Espan likes this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I was hoping it would be more specific/detailed.

If I understand what I read here correctly for example, the new United Explorer Visa is particularly good in terms of car rental insurance. However the article just ranks the big companies in general (Visa, Amex, MC, etc). Also, many car rental companies now have several different types of supplemental insurance options. The fact is it remains a confusing area to me... Luckily, I've never had to make a claim, either.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you too. The primary reason I found it useful is that I'm now looking in detail at the coverages I have. I should have done that years ago.

sobore, 2soonold and Espan like this.
  5. bobolo

bobolo Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure if this belongs in this thread, but maybe you will find it useful. I have the Chase Mileage Explorer Visa card and use it for car rentals because it offers primary rather than secondary insurance. In other words your insurance company is only involved in liability claims. One car rental agency tried to sell me "loss of use" insurance because he said the card doesn't cover that loss. I called the Mileage Plus card enhancement services at 1-888-880-5844 and informed me that the loss is covered. Incidentally call that number instead of the number on your card if you have questions about the Explorer card protection services.

6. PointsNmilesAddict

PointsNmilesAddict Active Member

Status Points:
    sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  7. PointsNmilesAddict

Status Points:
    is that the united visa credit card by chase?? would you think that one offers better or same coverage as the one for amex?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a little research on this topic a few days ago since I am about to rent cars for a month (3 different rentals), and the fact that the United MP Explorer card provides primary coverage stood out for me. So, that's the card I will be using. I have also never had to file a claim, and hopefully never will.

9. PointsNmilesAddict

Status Points:
    I'll have to call both companies and compare benefits just to make sure i get the best protection just in case.. i've never haad any accidents or claims but you ever know, better safe than sorry!!