Comparing AA, BA, and DL

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rwoman, Dec 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I posted much of this on a thread on FT, but thought folks here may be interested in the comparison as well.

Since moving from ATL to the UK, I've found that AA/BA sometimes provide better options than DL. I did a status match to AA Plat last spring in order to take advantage of oneworld Sapphire benefits, especially since I travel on BA intra-Europe every other month or so. My comparison of DL and AA, plus BA in Y - solely derived from my experiences in the past seven months:

International Flights - DL/AA/BA:
    Business - includes thoughts on upgrading international:
    19 NOV - AA 101 - LHR-JFK - TR with Pics and Comparison to DL

Coach Travel:
    - FA's: I have had a combination of very good and average service on both AA and DL. Fortunately, the surly ones have been left to BA this past year.

- Seats: DL - Flying to/from LHR most of the time, I get to fly the 764's on DL, which are a great aircraft. Between the exit row (30) and Economy Comfort it's not bad all. I like DL's leather seats, but think the recline could be better
    AA - I've flown the 757, 763, and 777 on AA to/from LHR - the exit row seats on these a/c are good, but the seat tends to hurt my back, especially on the longer flights. Only exception was the 763, but it still seemed to be the same seat!
    BA - I've flown the 777 and the 747 to/from LHR. As a OW Sapphire, I can select seats at booking, but exit rows are still 50GBP. I find this seat more comfortable than the AA seat, but not necessarily better than DL.

- Food:
    Main Meal: AA and BA have better main meals IME. One thing I do not like about BA is when they offer curry - it tends to stink up the cabin IMHO.
    Pre-Arrival Snack: DL serves pizza/ice cream, AA serves pizza/grapes/cookies, BA serves a small sandwich/biscuits.
    Pre-Arrival Breakfast:
    DL: Serves a sandwich or muffin top plus a banana and juice.
    AA: On shorter TATL flights, it was a snack box and on longer flights a croissant and juice.
    BA: A muffin...none of which I have liked.

- IFE:
    DL: The 764's have pretty good IFE systems in the headrests... so long as it does not have to be rebooted several times. There's usually a decent variety of movies and TV. The 763's out of Gatwick have the overhead screens...can't wait for those birds to be updated!
    AA:
    777 - IFE at every seat. I find their movie selection to be more limited.
    763/757 - Overhead monitors - new screens, but personal IFE is better. ;)
    BA:
    777/747 - IFE at every seat. It tends to work pretty well and the selection is good, but the screens are small and the picture tends to be grainy.

Domestic - AA and DL - Coach and F travel:
    - FA's:
    In Y, they've been decent - nothing over/under-whelming.
    -Upgrades:
    My AA experience is limited, but 500-mile upgrades seem to work. I'm 2/2, but that does not say much. On DL, I was 90% this year for domestic upgrades...but that's as a DM.

- Seats:
    In Y, the seats tend to be about the same, although, again, I like DL's leather seats over AA.
    In F, the seats themselves tend to be about the same, but there seems to be more space between them on AA.

- Food:
    In Y, both offer food for purchase.
    In F, I found it to be about the same (at least for breakfast meals).

- IFE:
    I cannot really compare AA and DL - DL flights vary in having IFE at every seat...I have yet to be on an AA flight in the US with anything but overhead screens.

I hope this helps someone out there!
    :)robin

2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha your comment about curry smell reminded me of an incident in Singapore recently, where Chinese Singaporean landlord forbid his Indian Singaporean tenants to cook curry because it stinks up the building, lol sparked major debate

rwoman likes this.
  3. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    why does united get excluded

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because I've only flown United once (one way) LHR-IAD in the past five years and it would not be fair to make a comparison based on one flight many years ago.