Company Policy: If you BTC and alone in F, no other catering will be provided.

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by General_Flyer, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I was excited being the only 1 in F for my flight yesterday, everything was set, "no one else" I though.. "Ought to be fun"..

Well not so much.. The ground staff somehow BTC'ed me for Supper (which I did order), Before touchdown and breakfast (both of which I did not order).

I was quite surprised when I learned that there was virtually no provisions on onboard for the other main dish selections for supper. Then the same thing happened before touchdown.. Nothing else was catered except the BTC that I didn't order.

I don't really know what to make of SQ now, except that this is incredibly ridiculous! I'm in F for heaven's sake, and this is not a way to impress me for getting me back as a return customer!

Just about everyone onboard apologized to me for this, and they managed to cancel the breakfast BTC from HKG to SIN. The IFS manager from HKG told me that this was the new company policy, so NEVER BTC in any way unless you have special needs.. But honestly SQ? If this is the way you're going to cut costs, I have to re-examine my entire business with you!

Switch2, estnet, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, this is a new low. So they basically forced you to have only one meal choice for the entire journey. I wonder what if you had not BTC'd for the Supper, would they still have tried to force BTC you? :eek: And what about the mid-flight snacks? Did they only load 1 option?

3. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Snacks are pretty much exempt I think. But somehow someone BTC'ed me on everything when all I wanted is the supper BTC. Now in a matter of forcing, I have no idea. But so far, I've cancelled all my BTC requests based on this experience..

jbcarioca, cennas and Rejuvenated like this.
  4. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is quite shocking to be honest. In the past, there were several times where I BTC but decided to opt for something off the menu instead because they were more appealing. Never had an issue with this before albeit I was never the sole one in F when I have done so (well I've never had the F cabin all to myself regardless). We have not BTC ex-SIN nor ex-HKG for our flights next month and your report really puts us in a situation not to. In addition the majority of the items available for BTC I have sampled before and most of the ones I have not tried don't seem very appealing.

Was this onboard SQ1 where you BTC the supper but unexpectedly was given something something off the BTC selection for the "Before Touchdown" on SFO-HKG and the breakfast on HKG-SIN (which they eventually were able to cxl)? So when you learned they didn't cater anything else I assume they also did not present you with the printed onboard menu? Nonetheless this is indeed another pathetic path they are going through considering they already are no longer serving caviar for supper services on several routes.

jbcarioca, cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  5. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes indeed.. Was a bit of a wake up call.. Even the crew was dismayed by this outcome.

And yes, this was on SQ1. They told me I had BTC'ed on all 3 courses, and I told them I only ordered for the 'Supper'. They did give me the menu and when they checked they found nothing else catered. I ended up only doing croissant and fruits without the main meal before touchdown because they didn't have anything for me either except something that I 'supposedly' BTC'ed.

The crew from SFO to HKG didn't know of this policy until it happened on that flight. But the HKG-SIN crew told me about the policy. The ones that ended up canceling and apologizing were the Ex. SFO crew.

In regards to the Caviar, it is indeed very true.. I am now truly examining on moving to another *A carrier or simply to OW with CX.

6. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this was the most appalling part of all. Considering they didn't even load any catering for the 2nd meal prior to HKG arrival when nothing was even BTC at all for that service. Okay perhaps they might have made an error in their records showing you BTC for the other meals when you really didn't do so. But still inexcusable regardless and I suggest you writing to them. Tell them you did not BTC for those other two meals and at least all the options of the 2nd meal prior to landing in HKG should have been loaded and be made available. And in addition, tell them that you are not impressed with this new policy at all.

jbcarioca, cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  7. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking about writing to them, the IFS and the Leading Steward in F had already done that. In the best interest for both myself and those flying, and ultimately the company itself, I'll definitely write to them.

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you should definitely write to them. I find it extremely shocking that they forced you to have only one meal choice for 'Before Touchdown' and Breakfast services when you hadn't even BTC'd for those.

Please keep us updated also with the outcome.

9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to show my ignorance, but what does "BTC" mean?

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It means "Book the Chef" and has a group fo special courses bookable in advance for both F and C long-haul. I have never experienced being the only person in F myself, and I have BTCed and chosen something different that seemed more appetizing.

I suppose if one does not BTC then they'll load more choices?

11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

General_Flyer and Rejuvenated like this.
  12. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. If I hadn't BTC'ed they'd have at least 1 provision for every option.

Rejuvenated and cennas like this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow - they made the mistake for two meals and there was no service recovery:( My (former) favorite airline for first bites the dust.

Rejuvenated and General_Flyer like this.
  14. SQuealer

SQuealer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you help me understand which BTC you ordered for Supper?

I'm curious/shocked that they actually 'forced' another BTC on you for the Before Touch Down meal (without you indicating a choice of BTC in the first place) So what was it that they 'ordered' for you?

I traveled recently (Nov) on the same route alone in F and I skipped my BTC and all meals (except for some fruits) but was offered everything from the menu.

Rejuvenated, General_Flyer and SQ LPP like this.
  15. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been thinking for a while before writing this. The situation is a bit delicate since I was not there.

General_Flyer, I understand your disappointment. But I think your heading (title) of the thread is misleading. I mean, AFAIK, or from my experience, there is no such policy you mentioned. When I flew solo in F cabin with BTC, the choices of main courses on the menu were available. Or at least SQ will cater one. Could it be possible that what you encountered was a catering glitch at SFO?

Furthermore, how did you set your BTC prior to your traveling date? By phone? On line? If you order BTC for supper, if you called, did the agent ask you about your breakfast BTC for SFO-HKG segment, as well as your HKG-SIN? You said, if I am not misunderstood, someone on the ground did the order for you? How so? You said the crew told you that on the record you BTC all the three meals service on SQ 1. Did you do the BTC on line? Did you call for the BTC through your SQ contact in the US?

My question further, what was offered for you for your "prior to arrival" at HKG? The same BTC dish as your supper?

Well, my suggestion is for you to deal with customer affairs. Perhaps you can deal with SQ office in your hometown. But I believe the crew had done their best to fix the problem on the spot. As you said, the crew ex-SFO cancelled your BTC for HKG-SIN segment. That's a service recovery action.

P.S. Regarding your croissant and fruits only before touch down, did you ask the crew whether you can have something more substantial from Business Class? Or did you expect the crew would serve you caviar for your breakfast like on your CX flight. ;)

Flyer1976, Chimpy, cennas and 4 others like this.
  16. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I ordered the Veal chop for the supper menu.

Well, I am not sure why there was an order in the first place for both the 'before touchdown' or the 'breakfast'. They ordered me multigrain bread for the 'before touchdown' which I think is a breakfast BTC, and then Chicken Congee for the 'breakfast' on HKG-SIN.

There is perhaps the possibility since I am literally an upgrade pax. There was 2 bookings under my name, one is the upgrade to F and the other is in C. I noticed an empty seat @ 14A, it could be that they really don't expect anyone in F at that time..

Well, I would've surmised that it could be a catering or computer glitch somewhere if not for the IFS from HKG-SIN telling me that it is company policy.. So, I think that was more of a concrete proof than me assuming something that I may not have full proof of.

I set my BTC always via the phone with KF agents. When I asked for the BTC, they did offer me the supper options and also for breakfast. However I declined the offer for anything for breakfast. And to note, the breakfast was only for the HKG-SIN leg.

Someone on the ground did order for me (assuming it was someone either the KF agents or somebody else), and yes the crew showed me my BTC'ed items for all three meals via their notes. I told them I didn't order anything except for the veal chop for supper. I do not BTC online and have never done so, and like I said earlier, I always BTC with the KF agents via the KF reservations line.

Before touchdown they did ask me if I want anything to eat. I asked them if there are anything except the BTC option which was the bread since I ate the Veal BTC about halfway in-flight, and they checked and said there are none. The crew did offer me something else that is 'separately catered' (this must mean the Business Class menu). At this point I just declined since I don't feel like troubling them with anything anyways, and told them croissant and fruits will be fine.

All in all, the crew was marvelous. I loved every minute of the services and conversations they gave me. Only the catering was the disappointing part of the flight. :)

Do you think I should handle it personally? The only office here is the MI office unfortunately, but I can always try it someplace else later on. I've been waiting to write an email to them about this, but my internet has been less than operational here at home, and I had to postpone writing it.

Well, on the matters of Caviar.... I don't know.. But it would've made for a great before touchdown meal... :p

cennas and Rejuvenated like this.
  17. SQuealer

SQuealer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh..better now...thanks for clarifying the crew were sympathetic and proactive.... some of us here thought you had a terrible, go-hungry flight :p
    ( re: the NO service recovery comment....what does the OP suggest the crew to have done on flt?)

I encourage you to use the internet feedback..it's as easy as you doing a detailed post here on MP :D (I am sure your kampong internet can handle that ;))

Let them investigate and come back to you with an official reply. Also try to find out how did the other 2 BTC went into the system.

This will definitely benefit the rest of us too. Cheers!

cennas, Rejuvenated and General_Flyer like this.
  18. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll make sure you guys here proofread it first before I send it.. :D

cennas and Rejuvenated like this.
  19. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, how does this look? Good or Bad?

Flyer1976, Switch2, cennas and 3 others like this.
  20. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks very well-written to me! :) Good luck!

cennas, SQuealer and General_Flyer like this.
  21. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, on both counts! :)

22. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1! General_Flyer, please do keep us updated. Good luck!

23. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had to cut a lot just to make it to their maximum 4,000 character space. Hopefully they'll get the message and understand what I am trying to convey.. Will keep you folks updated of any news..

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised that the crew did not offer you the business class menu, even through normally it is a separate presentation and separate menu. Here is where lots of satay could have been a good option too.

My guess is that the separately catered food was a crew meal. On one flight, my BTC FC salmon was missing and the crew scrambled to find me a salmon main course, but it was different from the BTC selection. This happened early in the flight and I think some crew member may have sacrificed their salmon for me. It was good and I really appreciated the effort.

Flyer1976 and General_Flyer like this.
  25. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The crew did offer me something from the business menu, but I declined because I don't want to trouble them with anything else. No satay though this entire trip..

The separate meal they mentioned was from the business meal.