Companion Upgrade

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by kellio, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does a companion upgrade need to be on the same PNR? Anyway to link them or would it be done at the airport day of departure if space is available?

2. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prior to arrival at the airport, the companion must be on the same PNR and there is no way to link the PNR's. Once you've booked separately, you're done for (unless you want to upgrade both with miles, or upgrade the companion and hope your status upgrade clears). At the airport you can upgrade a companion on a separate PNR. Just ask the gate agent to add them to the list. But you only get one companion so if you've upgraded one on your PNR already, you can't add another at the gate.

nomflyer and kellio like this.
  3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Patti. That's what I expected. In this case my companion is connecting in PHX and we'll hop on the same flight to LAS.

4. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good tip Patti.

On a recent PHX-LAS trip with my gf, we were on separate PNRs (Expedia deal). For the outbound, my upgrade cleared but I was not able to upgrade her because the F cabin was full, so I requested to move back to my original seat.

On the return flight the F cabin was wide open and the GA upgraded my gf as my companion.

5. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please note this is not US's current policy. They used to permit you to upgrade anyone as your companion reguardless if they were on your PNR or not, but they changed their policy, I think a year ago. But with many things with US, YMMV.

6. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their policy does allow you to do an at-the-gate upgrade of a companion traveling on a separate PNR. It's not clearly worded, but they will do it. You just have to luck out and get the space to begin with, and not have already upgraded another companion.

7. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool...you learn something new everyday.

8. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    But that's only for at-the-gate upgrades btw. If you want to upgrade the companion at your elite window, their policy is still "Same PNR only."

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  9. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw this a few days ago in PHX...as I was crowding the gate ([​IMG]), I heard the Gate Agent go, "OK, let me split your PNR...." and both the DM elite and her companion got into F.

10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Myself and another CP who went to a recent London DO tried to upgrade a fellow FT/MPer at the airport as a companion. At first the reaction was "sure, no problem", but at the last minute it changed to "oh sorry, the cabin is full". Interesting that 4 empty seats disappeared during the 5 minutes we tried to do the upgrade. On the way back, I tried again, it was denied, and then I saw empty Envoy seats during the flight. Very odd. Even stranger was that they pulled someone forward from the coach cabin that I believe was a CP, but they didn't pull my companion forward. As others have stated, YMMV. This seems like a good example of that.

11. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's no comp upgrades in Envoy so I'd count this as someone who didn't know the rules, thought they could help you then had to rescind the offer when realising they'd misspoken. The CP being bumped up was probably due to oversold Y cabin or something wrong with his/her seats.

12. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    My upgrade cleared for Saturday so I'll let you know what happens with the companion on a separate PNR.
    Right now the flight looks to have plenty of space in first.

13. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had no idea we could still do this. I'll resume my attempts to gate upgrade members of the military when it appears there's still room in F.

14. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Evidently there are a lot of gate agents who have no idea either....because Mr Sophie and I are always on different PNR's, and I haven't been successful, even when there are seats available. Based on this thread, I will try harder.

15. ariyo15
    Original Member

ariyo15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as pre-upgrading over the phone, it's usually impossible. But, at the gate - assuming the GA has a heart - it's nearly impossible NOT to get your +1 ug'd

16. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    The GA on Saturday listed my companion but no space available. So they seem to be willing to do it if they know how.