Companion upgrade on separate PNR at the 1K window

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Nov 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this is a repeat but my search didn't give me an answer.

I booked an itin yesterday for SEA-ORD. A colleague booked the same exact flights on a totally different PNR. He has no status.

Can I call UA and have them tie the PNR's so that my colleague is eligible for the companion upgrade at my 1K window? Or since he's booked on a separate PNR he's only eligible at the airport?

Both flights are wide open up front and show R=9 so I suspect (though you never know) that he would be upgraded with me at the 1K window easily.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. mtbroxs
    Original Member

mtbroxs Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will have to add him at the airport. PNRs can only be split, not joined.

snod08, Wandering Aramean and genemk2 like this.
  3. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if you're technically supposed to be able to add people on arbitrary other PNRs at the airport, though. When I've had a multi-person PNR that got split, the status & wait listing carried over but only at the 24 hour mark.

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    This turned out to be a complete fail on UA's part and it's frustrating. I doubt my companion would have made the upgrade on either flight at the end of the day but the chance was always there.

On the outbound at SEA airport I went to the service center and asked. The guy tried to do it but then said he was working the flight at the gate and would just do it there. I followed him to the gate, he re-entered all the data and then said, "The computer program I need to use to look up your data is frozen. I can't do this." So he never got on the list.

On the return I went to the O'Hare Customer Service Center in Terminal C. How the heck do the agents not know how to do this? The agent I got had to call someone immediately - didn't even try to do it herself. She told me the person on the phone insists I can only upgrade a companion who is on the same PNR. Umm, no. So after asking for a Supervisor she called the Help Desk again and this time gets someone who *can* make it happen but won't. The flight had one seat open in first (booked 23 of 24) and there was a GS at the top of the list so my companion didn't stand a chance. It's called misconnects United...they happen all the time at your hubs.

The GS did get upgraded and no one else on the list did so my companion would have missed out on that. But why do they create a program that no one knows how to use from a customer service perspective?

-Rob

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "program" required to do it is just the SHARES command line. What you ran in to are a bunch of legacy UA employees who didn't learn the command and who don't care to and so they aren't willing to bother trying. I had it done at the IAH E club a week ago and it took the agent all of 10 seconds to be done with the process.

genemk2 and snod08 like this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, some legacy UA agents do not want to know about this.

ORD is the worst I have faced. They were absolutely awful and unwilling to help.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can always "help" them out if you want. Here's the syntax to add someone to the upgrade list at the airport:
    C1K is the 1K companion code; CGS, CPL, CGL and CSL are the others AFAIK.

genemk2 and snod08 like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No drag and drop? ;)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much appreciated!

10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With any luck the new GUI that they've been working on will solve the problems relating to training sUA employees.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They'll still have to be trained to pull up the interface and type or click in the correct place to make it happen.

12. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but that'll be easier than trying to remember all those DOS-type codes, right?

13. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    They just need to GG-Study Harder! :D

genemk2, Flyer1976 and TravelerRob like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the person. Remember that many of these old-timer UA agents who cannot be bothered to learn it did it all once before on Apollo.

15. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, the old-heads who actually learned native Apollo aren't the biggest problem -- it's the mid level and more junior sUA agents who never learned how to work in any native system that have the greatest trouble.

Sent while enjoying tasty kebab in a Turkish taxicab

genemk2 likes this.