Companion Upgrade Benefit?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EWR764, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any word on whether the new MileagePlus program has been able to deliver on the promise of the former UA benefit of companion upgrades to pax in the same PNR? I know the "old CO" way of listing at the airport day-of-departure will still work, so I'd like to solicit any other experiences, positive or negative.

2. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given all of the other reasons UA gives me to split PNRs, or to b:eek::eek:k multiple PNRs in the first place (including the use of a discount certificate), I've not had a chance to find this out.

3. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm returning from San Diego right now, I'd like to say that the companion upgrades are still as broken as the orignal Continental upgrade system. To make matters worse, no one on the UA side seems to know how to add your companion to the upgrade list.

Few problems:
    1) they always split PNR once you (the one with higher status) clears the upgrade
    2) When 1) happens, the system does automatically put your companion on the FIRST leg (so it is fine if you are flying direct) of your flight along with the same priority. But the only happens on the day of the departure.
    3) Major pains will come when you have 2 legs or more. Manual requests has to be made for your companion to be added to those AND the agents doing it needs to know how to do it...

Anyway, not a good overall experience for me this time.

4. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still no dice on my flight, both of us remain in back with some F seats available. It's hard to tell whether the CPU process has skipped us (me) or whether it simply has not run at all. We'll see at the OLCI window... I will probably have to split the PNR, but that's no big deal.

5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To follow up with my experience:

- I have not yet seen a companion upgrade clear in advance, and with two pax on the PNR, this means the Premier member may not clear in advance
    - At OLCI, if the Premier member has not yet cleared, it will automatically prompt you to split the PNR and add both travelers to the standby list at their respective status (Premier level for qualifying member, associated companion status for the other pax). You can decline to do this if you so choose, but it is unclear whether one or both pax will be added to the upgrade standby list in such cases.
    - If R opens up after the OLCI window, the Premier member may receive the upgrade based on priority, but the companion can only clear at the gate
    - On return travel after splitting the PNR, the companion will be automatically added to the upgrade standby list independent of the Premier member (I am pleased by this)
    - After the PNR is split, the companion's boarding group will reflect his/her priority on a standalone basis, not the status of the upgrade sponsor. If the pax were on the same PNR, boarding group would be the same, I believe.

So far, so good. Companion u/g cleared on the outbound seg, waiting to see what happens on the return (20/20 booked, companion is holding steady at #1).

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have only had one chance to test this and it failed. My guess is that they were only opening one seat at a time so they kept passing over us. I did notice that my companion was fairly near the top of the list (I was #1 and she was #4) but that could also be because I was "slumming" with the Gold elites. :p However, the two people in between had the same last name so I presume they were both 1K.

7. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can happily report that, for my next flight with a travel companion, the upgrade benefit is working as advertised. I just received the CPU today for both pax on the PNR for my flight this Friday (sUA, fwiw).

The scenario I describe above will be the process if the advance CPU does not upgrade both pax on the PNR prior to the OLCI window. At that point, you will be prompted to split the PNR and the non-Premier passenger will be listed as a companion with upgrade priority corresponding to the status of the sponsoring passenger.

8. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm that the system worked as expected. Today I cleared a CPU upgrade in advance with a non status companion on the same reservation.

T-97h flight was F9 R9
    T-96h flight goes to F6 R1 (several 1Ks upgraded but not us)
    Sometime between T-96 and T-72 my companion and I clear, flight goes to F4 R0.

So today I witnessed:

(1) The (advance) companion upgrades working properly
    (2) The EUA batch process ran sometime other than a multiple of 24 hours before departure.

theBOAT likes this.
  9. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is how it used to work on CO - if my PNR was still lumped with my non-elite wife, we would not process on EUA nor would we be on the upgrade standby list at the gate.

theBOAT

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the examples here have been for a booking a Premier member and a general member.

I am curious to learn how it will work with a Premier member and 2 general members.

As far as I can gather, if you want to have any chance for a CPU, you will need to split the original booking into two: one that has the Premier member and 1 one of the GMs and second one with the other GM.

The second reservation with the GM will have no shot at the CPU. The question I have though is will they still retain their E+ seat?

11. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worked for me on a flight tomorrow with a non-Premier traveler both of us on award tickets. In 2012 worked on two out of four flights with family, two non-Premiers. On flights where I split the passenger number, typically my companion(s) don't get upgraded at the gate unless there is a no show.

Infinite1K likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should. If there is an equipment swap or it drops generally calling in gets it restored pretty quickly.

8MiHi and Infinite1K like this.