Companion travel together ticket - to spend 30k in 12 months or by Dec 31?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by ballardFlyer, Jun 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

New to BA and signed up for the Chase BA Visa this month.

Trying to confirm that the 30k spend for companion ticket is 12 months from card activation date (Jun 2013) vs having to spend it by the end of 2012?

See some vague answers and MP search on iPhone is weak.

Thank you in advance!

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The T&C of the credit card offer state:

Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa Signature card, you will earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years when you redeem for a flight on British Airways. Taxes and fees apply. For more details, visit ba.com/traveltogetherticket.

3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - Chase phone rep said I had 366 days and the blogs seem to say various things too.

Maybe chase rep meant 365 days for spending the 20k required to get additional 50k points, but wasn't about companion ticket?

However legal promotion terms are definitive - thank you!

4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that is correct - one year for the spending requirement for the sign-up bonus and calendar year for the Travel Together ticket (as in 12/31/12). Other Chase spending related bonuses (like the 7% for the Sapphire Preferred and 10,000 bonus miles for United MileagePlus) also are on calendar years so it makes sense.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the Travel Together ticket is good for 2 years from the date of issue. If I ever do the 2-for-1, I'd stop short of $30K and then cross the threshold shortly before 12/31 to extend its life.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  6. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well these terms for the companion voucher vary from the UK Amex companion voucher. You must reach the required spend level during your 12 month year (i.e. if you take the card on 1 June you have until 31 May the following year to make the spend).

7. drennman

drennman Active Member

Status Points:
    I have spent the $$ and received the companion pass. I have booked two tickets but I have found that the "fees and taxes" are very high - like 8x higher than 2 equivalent award tickets on United or Lufthansa. I don't know if they are higher than 2x a regular Avios award ticket or not. So you may find that it isn't as great a deal as you imagine. Plus BA charges you for booking your seats in advance. So if you want to sit together you are looking at more fees.

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, drennman!
    This is unnecessarily alarmist. If you don't pay to pre-allocate your seats, you are still very unlikely to be split up from your travelling companion. This is especially true if you are prepared to do online check-in 24 hours before travel. As you can see, BA gives priority to the more frequent customers of itself and its alliance partners.

As for the more general point, using miles/Avios to make full redemptions is very poor value in economy and probably in premium economy too. Much better to use them for premium cabin redemptions, but even better to use them to upgrade premium economy tickets to business class.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you to you both for input. Personally I would only book biz or higher with comp pass benefit just to maximize my value/mile.