Companion Pass Change!

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by onlybeef42, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently from 1/1/2012 you only earn CP for the next year (ex - CP earned on 4/1/12 earns CP for 2013 NOT any of 2012)!!:mad:

2. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update -- After a long conversation they just made a special exception for me, and gave the CP for both the remainder of 2012 and 2013. However, please everyone take notice and proceed with caution.

iolaire likes this.
  3. Jimmy28

Jimmy28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the website the rules haven't changed, you still get any status (A-List or Companion) for the remainder of the year you first earn it in.

However they do sweeps every week for these status changes; it's not instant. So if you earned CP yesterday, then it's not going to show up today no matter what. The exception that may have given you was to push the change through today instead of in a couple of days when the sweep would have occurred.

iolaire likes this.
  4. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, the first post is plain not true. I earned my Companion Pass last week and have made multiple bookings for the remainder of 2012. My CP will be good until the end of Dec 2013.

mrredskin likes this.
  5. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with that, but when I called today the 3 reps (2 1-800 and 1 Dallas) told me something different. I had to argue, beg, and plead. They repeatedly put me on hold and "talked to supervisors" to no avail. They acted like something changed, and this weekend was the end of Q1.

I hope the issue was just me trying to get the CP too quickly after qaulficiation, but I felt it was important to share the WN response with the community.

iolaire likes this.
  6. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly I just received a qualification email regarding my CP.

Maybe all the issues yesterday were from me getting a little too excited and trying to use the CP before the computer knew about it. :oops:.

EDIT - I just noticed the CP is only earned through 12/30/12 which makes no sense.

Attached Files:

7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you call to find out if the CP is good through 2013? I'm curious as I hope to make the CP once I get the Marriott CC and transfer points to SW.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Companion Pass offer is still valid and grants access immediately through year end 2013.
    I qualified for the Companion Pass this weekend (4/7 or so) via Chase signups and spend. The companion status page activated this weekend (due to my Chase card closing over the weekend) giving me the opportunity to enter my companion. The site bombed out twice when I tried to enter my companion, but when I check this morning my companion information was entered and my status was
    Code:
    Active 
    Valid until 12/31/2013 
    I used the following link to check the status of my Companion Pass
    http://www.southwest.com/account/rapidrewards/companion-status

Update also received an email on Monday titled: Congratulations! You've just earned Companion Pass status.

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also like to point out the website clearly states that the pass is for the current year plus one:
    http://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ic=rapid_rewards_program_terms_and_conditions
    Second Companion Pass bullet
    Companion Pass qualification will be based on a calendar year. A Companion Pass Member will maintain his/her Companion Pass for the remainder of the calendar year in which status is earned, and the entire calendar year immediately following. To continue their Companion Pass privileges, Members must re-qualify each year. (For example, a Member who earns a Companion Pass on July 15, 2011 will maintain the Companion Pass for the remainder of 2011 and all of 2012. Beginning January 1, 2012, the Member must complete 100 qualifying one-way flights or accrue 110,000 Qualifying Points by December 31, 2012, and upon doing so, the Companion Pass will be extended to December 31, 2013.)

mrredskin and Mikus33 like this.
  10. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear! I will take it up with WN later this week. It seems to me that because I was pushing it through for a particular trip and not waiting for the system to catch up, I messed it up.

iolaire likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI received the Companion Pass card yesterday (4/17) in a nice blue packet. From what I read in the terms the Companion Pass card required to travel with the Companion.

Casey Friday likes this.
  12. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats!
    I used the CP last weekend and wasn't asked for it once. We even checked bags. (though I had it with me just in case)

iolaire likes this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off topic, but if I change the date of a trip with a pass assigned does it automatically change the companion ticket’s date?

-- Update process
    * change my ticket
    * VIEW my companion ticket
    * cancel it (you cannot modify the ticket)
    - credit the taxes to the fund bank or whatever it is known as
    * add the companion to my new ticket dates using the fund bank $ on the original companion ticket (via name and ticket code) to cover the fees of the new ticket

14. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I remember correctly, when reading info on this topic there was warning that this may happen. I got CP on 4/1 and have gone on one trip and have two more already booked. And my status ends 12/2013.

YULtide likes this.
  15. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to update this tread, but I sent a secured message to WN asking about the incorrect date. They replied with a confirmation that the companion pass is valid through December 31, 2013. So basically I had nothing to worry about, and a nice confirmation email from WN :D.

16. bigbearballs

bigbearballs New Member

Status Points:
    How long after you guys got to CP status did it take for you to be able to book a flight? I think I'll get to 110k spending by the middle of this month, does that mean I'll be able to book my companion that same day? Do I have to wait for the billing cycle?