Companion Pass -- Can you use points to purchase the fare?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by edekba, Jul 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fairly simple question that I could not find a definite answer. If someone has CP already; can they use their SWA RR points to "purchase" one seat & then the companion gets it? Or is only on paid "cash" fares?

2. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can use points.
    In addition, anyone can book flights for the Companion Pass holder with their points, and the CP holder can add their companion for free.

infamousdx, Mikus33 and cordray2643 like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That kinda answered my question of what credit card to get next.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just have to say I'm going hog wild on my Companion Pass this year!

We live in DC area so we are close to three airports, with BWI being a major hub. We used the pass once last year, and have four more trips booked this year. At this point I only burned through about 60k miles, leaving me with another 50k to try to burn before the Companion Pass ends at the end of the year.

I’m a budget buyer even with the points and the Companion Pass. I also find myself making plans to fly places that are reachable non-stop that keeps the cost down and makes it easier for a quick weekend away.

What’s not yet planned is a quick weekend or two to San Juan times now that SW has some SW branded direct flights from BWI – I guess I’ll save that for late in the year.

5. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am definitely on the hog bandwagon. I got CP last year but I am out of CLT no luck for airports we would drive 1 1.2 hrs or 2 1/2 hrs to an airport for the free flight. The gas is worth it and so is my time. Last year we went to Nashville,Chicago,San Francisco,just came back fromTampa, going back to Tampa in a month, flying into BWI for frequent University, grand canyon in May. Not only have we only paid taxes BUT our very first trip on SW netted us 400.00 in credit due to mechanical problems and I still have 60000 miles. I am sweating it out thinking how in the world I can get the pass for 14/15. Oh and SW is starting to fly out of CLT in April-yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!

emtesenair, Mikus33 and iolaire like this.
  6. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You guys inspired me to think about how I've used the companion pass. While booking another trip tonight, I was looking through both last and this years' points activity. I live in KC, so SW is very convenient for me as there are a ton of great nonstops out of here, certainly more than any other airline. So, here goes, the value that I've squeezed out of my CP...

Past Flights I've taken on the CP
    5/22/12 - Earned CP
    07/20/12 - 07/22/12 - Indianapolis - 11,639 pts RT
    09/21/12 - 09/24/12 - San Francisco - 17,640 pts RT
    10/12/12 - 10/14/12 - Chicago for the Chicago Seminars - 8460 pts one way
    12/21/12 - 12/30/12 - Houston - 18,360 pts RT
    01/18/13 - 01/21/13 - San Antonio - $136.99 RT (sale fare not eligible points use)

Future Flights currently booked
    Tampa - 16 credits for old style reward (roughly equal to 19,200 pts)
    Indianapolis - 18,060 pts RT
    Washington DC - 6,720 pts one way (still need to book return)

For my personal situation, the huge SW credit card bonuses plus the CP is the absolute best thing out there in terms of usability and ease of achieving. Sure, I love premium cabin international travel (have only experienced twice so far), but for me, it doesn't beat 2 years worth of weekend trips all over the country.

Cdnblue, free67spirit and iolaire like this.
  7. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's actually worked great for our family of four as well. We pay for my husbands ticket (he is the one who owns the cp) and I fly for free on the pass. We then use points for each of the kids tickets. We are in the second year of our pass and I'm going to miss it next year....though it will be time to burn some of the miles I've been earning in other programs.

Mikus33 and iolaire like this.
  8. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm based in CLT as well and discovered last week you can actually book flights from CLT now! They have added a few of the Air Tran routes to the SW booking engine! I just changed a trip leaving from GSP to CLT leaving on Thursday to ATL!

Mikus33 and iolaire like this.
  9. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been watching but I have noticed sometimes the points are higher. I am cheap with my points and would rather spread it out for more flights.

10. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's only April but I'm already jazzed to get the CP at the beginning of 2014 and have it for almost two years. Oh the places I will go!

11. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked ORD to IAD over May long weekend. Points for me and my husband and my 5 year old on the CP. It's my first flight on my CP. Got it after my very first app-o-rama in Feb! I've got some great travel plans but always look for low point redemption locations. I'm cheap with my points too.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

iolaire likes this.
  12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked LGA/BNA on points using the CP. Every time SW has a sale, I take a look at the itn. When I first booked, the ticket cost was 16,000 points. The first time it went down, I re-booked for 11,000. Last week there was a decrease down to 9000 points (all numbers rounded).

9000 points roundtrip for 1, and the other person flys4free. 4500 points per person roundtrip. My kid would have said cool beans.

Our plans:

LGA/BNA
    LGA/LAX
    LGA/FLL
    LGA/SAN
    SAN/LAS
    LGA/SEA, and possibly LGA/BOI or GEG.

It's cheaper to fly than stay home. :cool:

The best part is that I/we can book with impunity. No worry about any change of plans.
    HT to Darius at MMS for his user friendly guide on how to use the CP. http://millionmilesecrets.com/

JohnnieD and iolaire like this.
  13. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will we be able to use or CP on air trans?

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can today if its booked on southwest.com and includes a southwest segment.

I'm about halfway to an airtran cp but in no real rush to get it until/unless it looks fully reciprocal (meaning I can book WN-only travel with it too).

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm checking daily now. ;)

Here's another thing I love about Southwest.

I keep checking my reservations. Every time the points on our trip are reduced, I just re-book at the lower level. If I had the time, I'd check to see what I've saved, but it's getting close to 20,000 points so far. My LGA/FLL itn just went down another thousand.

iolaire likes this.