Companion Pass and Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by jman88, Mar 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jman88

jman88 New Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend and I are thinking about both signing up for Southwest Premier cards.

When we were in the airport speaking to one of the representatives the other day, they said that if we sign up at the same time, he can link our accounts so we share miles. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this online or on the phone?

We'd love to both sign up for the 50,000 bonus points and only be 10,000 points away from a companion pass... Especially since I already nearly have 10,000 points in my Rapid Rewards account...

Any thoughts/ideas?

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. :)

Hopefully some Southwest and credit card gurus will have your answer.

3. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    I am virtually certain that is incorrect. Now you can book flights for ANYONE out of your account but combining miles to get the companion pass won't work.

4. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe today is the last day for the 50,000 bonus if you are still thinking about signing up.

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe this is true. You need to earn the 110,000 miles in one account. You certainly can do it mostly via credit card bonuses, but not for two different people. Now, you could apply for two credit cards and make her an authorized user on one of them, and she could put the needed spend on that card to earn the 50,000. That would work. But you need to get approved for two Southwest Cards with your Southwest miles account number on them. Or her. Not one each.

From the master post on FT, people have had varying results when they tried having someone else apply with THEIR miles account number. Sometimes Chase has allowed it, sometimes the account has been closed. Do you feel lucky?

The usual way to do that is to apply for a personal AND a business card. I don't know if they'll give you both a Premier and a Plus Card. Normally Chase won't approve both in a single application, but YMMV. The more normal way to do this would be to apply for one now, wait 3-6 months then apply for the other. The problem with that of course is you're eating into the time your companion pass will be valid for, which right now would be for all of this year and all of next.

Personally, I'd do the personal/business card thing. That's what I did.

That turned out not to be true. The new info, whether its true or not, is the offers are out there until October.

6. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool stuff. Yes, I still see the 50,000 promotion on the website.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The conspiracy theorist in me is that Chase (or the bloggers, but it came from Gary and I trust him) put out the info that the offer was ending to get a few more applications done. Or they just changed their mind. You'll never know.

8. jman88

jman88 New Member

Status Points:
    After much research it seems that this guy didn't know what he was talking about. I ended up getting a business premiere and premiere. Loving the concierge service and have already reached my min spend! Anyone know how long it takes for the miles to transfer? (I know they say 6-8 weeks... is it just random? Or at the end of the billing cycle?)

gconnery likes this.
  9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its almost always the end of the billing cycle in which you hit the spend. Sometimes its the cycle after that, though that's never happened to me with Chase. More with Barclays, BofA.

10. blondie_52002

blondie_52002 New Member

Status Points:
    My friend gave me a flyer for 50,000 bonus points if I sign up for a Southwest credit card. A neighbor told me you get additional points if you sign up at the airport. I was just there yesterday but I didn't see any southwest credit card people, or maybe I was just in too big of a hurry. Is that true that you get more points if you sign up at the airport? I called the number on the flyer but of course they wouldn't tell me. If so, I can make the 15 minute trip out to the airport but I'd rather not. Thanks!

11. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    It always seem when I see the SW credit card reps that ttheir offer is lower than the 50,000

12. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just remember, when you do a app at the airport you are turning over the keys to your financial information to a stranger. Who handles the apps after you return it the the person at the airport? Does anyone have any in site on this?

13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points: