Companion Economy Plus Seating Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beach1103, Jun 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else...

I am a 1k and 95% of the time I am traveling solo for work. I am traveling cross country, with my wife, on the same flights but on two seperate itineraries. I called UA to have my wife's seat moved from Economy to Economy Plus and for her to sit in the window and me in aisle in the same row (leaving the middle seat open). I was told by the Customer Service representative that she would not move my wife's seat to that window seat (or any other window / aisle seat) and the only seat that she could have is the middle seat next to me. This flight is in early October and the entire E+ section is wide open. I asked why this was and she told me that I would penalizing other Premier Customers by having my wife sit in a window or aisle and if I wanted her to sit in either I had to pay the additional $129 for that luxury.
    Being a frequent traveler, I totally respect the heirchary at the airport and have had to sit in a middle seat (cross-country) before because of a late booking or standby situation. I dont want to penalize a fellow 1k or other Premier Member, but it was my understanding that a 1k or PP can have up to 8 additional people sit in E+ with them (couldnt find where it said in a middle seat only?). After asking to speak to a supervisor (and being on hold for 30 minutes) she came back and told me that my my wife is in a window seat six rows behind me and that is all that she is going to do for us. I went on-line to try to move her seat and it is asking for an additional $129.

I guess I am grateful that she (probably would have been me) isnt in a middle seat, but I am still very confused by this.

Is this something new that UA is doing with you try to move a traveling companion up to E+ with you?

Apologize for the lengthy post....just trying to figure out of this is a new policy or just a one off by a Customer Service agent as we are planing much more family summer travel.

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks....I guess it was just the way the agent handled the whole thing....I have never requested this before. Will make sure that we are on the same reservation next time!

4. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they did you a favor. I had the same thing happen a couple months ago, OGG - LAX - ORD We went to OGG on different days, but came back on the same flight, so different itineraries. Knowing it would be a hassle trying to get her into E+, I booked my flight back in her section, window and isle, blocking the middle. As fate would have it, and it might happen with you as an elite, you could get upgraded to First. I did. I let the bride take my First seat and I sat in the coach (non E+) isle seat. (She was kind enough to come back and say Hi to me, with a very good friend, Jack.;)

beach1103 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that an elite can add a passenger on a different PNR to the upgrade list at the airport. Even on a split itinerary you might both get upgraded.

cvsara and genemk2 like this.
  6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is nice to know, WA. I certainly didn't know that. Thanks. That would have came in handy on that OGG - LAX leg of the flight, as First flew with a couple empty seats.

7. Morsel
    Original Member

Morsel Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had a situation like this go both ways. The way I've worked around it is to put myself in the middle seat and my companion in the window or aisle, when talking to the agent. After the call, I go online and move myself to the other desirable seat, leaving the middle open once again. My traveling companion hasn't been swept out of the E+ seat, though I'm not sure I've done this since 3/3.

ssullivan likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post-3/3 there should no longer be "sweeps" which un-seat the companion from an E+ seat. That said, I would still recommend having the elite be in the worse seat so that when only one upgrade comes through it is the worse seat which is sacrificed.

beach1103 and mtbroxs like this.
  9. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too, did not know that this could be done....good to know!

10. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I'm new to the whole United E+ game (ex-CO flyer). This year I'm a 1K, so vacations with my wife & son are a non-issue, since according to the link above, I get 8 people in E+ on the same PNR. Next year I'm likely to only make Gold (the horror!!), and it seems to fall to only 1 person. Does anyone Gold post 3/3 have experience with UA phone reps making exceptions and allowing a second person to sit in E+ (total of 3)? I never even thought this would be an issue until I followed the link above. Thanks!

theBOAT