Companion CPU after elite member already upgraded

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Jul 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question about companion CPU's because I so rarely use them and I haven't had an opportunity to do so since 3/3.

I'm flying SEA-IAH-xxx next week. IAH-xxx is on a barbie jet so no CPU on it. SEA-IAH has already cleared. My companion is on a completely different ticket.

If I call UA and have our PNR's linked so that my companion can get upgraded how does that work? Do I lose my upgrade and go back into queue so that both of us can be upgraded together? Does my companion become immediately eligible as a 1K companion and will be processed as such?

The other wrench is that the return upgrade won't process until tonight. Until I understand how this would work I'm inclined to let my upgrade clear tonight and then link the reservations so my companion is eligible. Flight is F9 R9 so I suspect there will still be plenty of open seats up front after the 1K window runs.

Thanks for your help.

-RM

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot link PNR's.
    If your companion needs to clear with you, then they should be in the same PNR as yourself.

On the day of departure (THe following is pre-merger CO policy; but is claimed to be non-existent nowadays. Fact of the matter is no one at UA seems to know what the day-of-departure policy is)

You can go to SEA on the day of departure and add your companion on to the upgrade standby list. They will get your priority level associated and move on the standby list accordingly.

I have done this successfully once post 3/3 (at SAT);

I attempted to do this one more time post 3/3 at ORD; and was totally shot down by every agent saying that a pax who is not on the same PNR can never be added to the upgrade standby (unless the Elite used miles / certs).
    =====================

Good luck. You will need it. (Best suggestion - find a pmCO agent at SEA...they can make this happen)

mtbroxs and adambadam like this.
  3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aha. Ok. I didn't realize I couldn't link PNR's so that my companion could get an advanced upgrade. Thanks.

I have done the airport list thing post-3/3 here in SEA and while it worked my companion didn't clear (which is expected on Day of Departure).

-RM

snod08 likes this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck to you and your companion!

5. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think pnr's can be linked (other than adding a note in each about the other).

Something that can be done, and I've done it since 3/3, is to ask the dragon lady or gate agent to add to the companion's record or ticket or whatever the code "c1k" or "1kc" - was told this allows the companion of a 1K to enjoy 1K priority for upgrade purposes. There is no requirement for folks to be on same pnr, just on same flight. Don't know if this applies to other status levels.

Travelsavant likes this.