Compact Camera Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Saracen, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly mostly for business, and it has become harder to pack my DSLR on shorter trips. Any suggestions on a good compact? I have a 5 year old Canon Ixus and my DSLR is a Canon. So they would be my preferred manufacturer. I've heard good things about the S95.

2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a little Canon and love it. I just got it at costco. Don't know the model number though. Its a little black camera.

I also have a canon DSLR that I carry everywhere with me, but like the little one for times when the big DSLR is overkill.

3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've had very good experiences with most of the powershot SD series. They are relatively inexpensive, have good image stabilization and are ultra small. I'm not sure how they number the newer ones, but they used to (and maybe still do) add "is" at the end of the model number for the ones with image stabilization. Wouldn't surprise me if they all come with it now.

That said, the camera takes good but not fantastic pictures, but for the price...I will keep buying this line.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    No question, the Canon S95.

It's probably one of the best compact cameras out there right now and takes fantastic pictures and videos.

adambadam, nellie and Saracen like this.
  5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any reason why one might want to go for the G12 instead?

6. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently Lucky posted the same question on his One Mile at a Time blog. He had great responses with people giving reasons why and links to comparision websites. Great information there.

kenbo and Saracen like this.
  7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll check it out. I did see the post but there were no comments at the time. Will look again.

8. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    The big thing is the size of the G12. It is quite a bit heavier than the S95.

9. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While not the most compact, the Canon Powershot SX 210 is one of the best cameras I have worked with for its size. The powerful zoom and solid picture quality means you won't have to sacrifice too much when letting go of your SLR. They have come down in price quite a bit lately (released in April or May of 2010) so you should be able to pick one up for $220-$260.

Chamonix, Gargoyle and Saracen like this.
  10. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently bought the S95 so I do not need to carry my dSLR. My initial impressions of the camera are very good. Was also condisering the Lumix LX5, but I don't have any regrets yet.

11. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This year I bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5, I mainly chose this one because of it ability to take good quality low light photographs. Great for taking pictures of food no the plane. It is also waterproof and shockproof while still being very compact.

loadera and Saracen like this.
  12. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a s90 which might be the model -1 for the s95. I like it fine, but sometimes I think the response is too slow. It is a great camera though and compact, which is great for taking pictures in restaurants with or without my tripod. ;)

One thing I do not like is the control ring that is on both of the cameras. I have tiny hands and find it clunky, I can't imagine what an average or bigger than average hand would feel like. I know some folks like to use a grip with the camera model.

Saracen likes this.
  13. nellie
    Original Member

nellie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also hunting for a new small camera. Owners of the S95, is it small enough to carry in a coat pocket or is it pretty awkward and bulky? I can't tell from pictures if it's way bigger than the other compact Canons. Thanks!

14. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the s90, it is very small. In dimension terms, Its the same width as my iphone 3gs, but a half inch shorter and twice as deep. It is a heavy camera, so you will know it is still in your pocket.

15. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes will fit in your pocket like Lalala said, it isn't light.

16. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would only recommend that you stay in the same brand family. One of the things I have enjoyed with my Nikon's is the fundamental OS and icons have remained unchanged over 4 upgrades, I assume that Canon does the same. I am just getting too damned old to learn different OS for different cameras, let alone different icons.

Chamonix likes this.
  17. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just don't buy a Nikon, Canon all the way!

kingalien likes this.
  18. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the only thing slightly concerning me about the S95 is the somewhat restricted zoom. Are there any other cameras of comparable size with better reach? Though I hear the 24mm wide is really useful too.

19. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on the Canon s95. Fast lens and large sensor = good shots.
    And I a Nikon shooter.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Canon has a very good line of compact cameras. Just remember to ignore digital zoom (it's a scam) and just consider the optical zoom.

The POTN Canon forum is an excellent place for info on these cameras.

21. Tummy

Tummy Active Member

Status Points:
    Last Christmas i got myself a Leica d-lux 4. Fantasic image quality. The wide angle is very nice for landscapes and interior shots like hotel rooms, airline food photos, tiny cruise ship cabins. It also has a lot of manual control. There is a new d-lux 5 version, which is similar to the Panasonic LX5.

Leica tends to hold value a lot better than their Panasonic twins. It also comes with a 3 year warranty vs 1 for the pany, and also includes a copy of lightroom 3 and capture one. The red dot never goes out of style.

A couple months also I got a Sony NEX-5 and that has even better image quality, comparible to other APS-C sized DSLRs in a very compact body. Video looks amazing. On the other hand, the lenses are somewhat big and limited in selection right now. The 18-200mm E-mount lens has really good stabilization and we were able to get great handheld fireworks videos at full zoom.

22. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I was wrong about the wide angle, S95 is 28mm, while the LX-5 is 24mm. Hmm…

23. Tummy

Tummy Active Member

Status Points:
    If I were to do it again, I would skip the s95, LX5, p7000, g12s... And go for a "EVIL" camera like the NEX 3/5, Oly Pen, or Pany GF2.

Also Nikon just announced the new p300 today, with a 24-100mm f1.8-4.9 lens for $329, which is a direct competitor to the S95/LX5
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11020910nikonp300.asp

24. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Though the 1/2.3" sensor can't be good for noise. The S95 is 1/1.7"

25. bschaff1
    Original Member

bschaff1 Active Member

Status Points:
    For under the $100 price point, one of the Canon SD1300 Elph cameras is an excellent value. They are phasing out that model currently and I have seen it as low as $90 and the specs are 12 MP, 4x optical zoom, 2.7" LCD, and it weighs under 5 oz. It's not going to offer the higher end optics of the S95 or 720p video recording, but it's smaller and about a quarter of the price.