Commuting to South Carolina.......CLT, CAE or MYR?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by gregm, Feb 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all. I didn't see a dedicated South Carolina Airports forum, so I'll post here.

I'm beginning a new contract and will be commuting from FLL to Florence, SC., traveling on Mondays and Thursdays. Delta does not fly to FLO, so my choices are CLT, with a 2 hour+ drive to Florence, CAE or MYR, both with a little over an hours drive to Florence.

All three have PreCheck and none of the three have Sky Clubs, so it's an even playing field. I'd prefer NOT to drive 2+ hours, so I'm leaning towards CAE or MYR. Only problem is I'm not a fan of RJs.

The airfare is slightly less doing a FLL-CAE/MYR and the car rentals are also cheaper at the smaller CAE and MYR. Although I don't pay for expenses, I try to maximize my comfort and earning perks without bankrupting my client.

Anyone have any insight to share? Thanks!

MX likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until IIRC March 22, you can still use the US lounges with the AmEx Platinum/Centurion charge cards even when not flying US, assuming that TSA allows you to get to the door of the lounge. This might be an argument to use CLT for the next month or so.

Beyond that, why not try all the airport possibilities and then decide? I assume you've looked at DL flight schedules and aircraft.

BTW, with the two hour drive to/from CLT, do you have to worry about any maximum miles allowance (for free) on rental cars?

3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't care about lounge access, unless IRROPS becomes a problem. As long as they have PreCheck, I plan on breezing on in and boarding.
    Of course I will experiment with each airport, but wanted any insight possible, hence my post.
    My rentals come with unlimited mileage.

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't put much weight on PreCheck. They are shoving more and more people into it, and they are not increasing the number of lanes. Lately I've been seeing PreCheck lines longer than regular lines. Plus the people being added do not travel often and are still emptying there bags and disrobing as they would in the regular line making it no faster. Although it is nice, it will soon be nothing special. Plus most airports that don't have PreCheck have "expedited" service (still pull laptop out & liquids, but shoes stay on) and you get the metal detector.

"Everyone's special, Dash."
    "Which is another way of saying no one is."

gregm, Flyer1976 and Betty Boop like this.
  5. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree that more and more Non-FFs are getting 'pre-check' and the tsa agents are not instructing them on what NOT to do. More and more I am telling the person in front of me -please don't start disrobing etc- and they are surprised. And I am annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

gregm and USAF_Pride like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, as if travel isn't full of enough irony, I just checked in for my flight and don't see "TSA PreCheck" on my BP.

7. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was taking my in laws to the airport today -- for their once a year flight on US -- and noticed the precheck tag on their printed bps. They had no idea what it was, but by the time I finished describing how it works, I think they mostly got it.

In a briefing about sixteen months ago, the MSP airport manager told us their goal, shared with tsa, was to convert all lanes to precheck save for a few for the ssss crowd, within a couple of years. I wonder if the l3 scanners will remain when that happens...

Betty Boop likes this.
  8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, they haven't converted anything yet. I've been saying for awhile that they are going to the model of focusing on the 1% that is the problem and this is the only way to change to a "profile" system; After all, it is still "random". I can't believe TSA is going along willingly, as this goes against their "We are protecting you from bad guys" mantra and justification for nude-o-scope, patting granny and the kids down, and just making life miserable.

But back on topic; Don't downplay the smaller airports as the security can be faster/easier than a Pre-Check Airport.

Betty Boop likes this.
  9. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    So by then everyone will be precheck until something happens then no one will be precheck.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    US flies into FLO. Why not DL into CLT and US into FLO?

gregm likes this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it was a grueling/boring 2+ hour drive from CLT to Florence. Next week I'll try MYR.

12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would work from FLL, but otw home, I'd miss the last flight from CLT to ATL.

13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha

gregm likes this.
  14. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually connect ATL to CAE. Though sometimes on an RJ, the flight is amazingly short. I get an MD sometimes as well. CAE is very easy to fly in and out of. After years of flying in and out of the ATL zoo, I love leaving PDX, connecting and then walking out of CAE and being in my rental car in 10 minutes.

gregm, DiverDave and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    CAE to FLO looks like a straight shot down I-20. I'm going to guess that I-20 is not nearly as congested as say I-77.

MYR to FLO looks like a bunch of secondary roads that are likely strewn with traffic signals. I remember driving from East Tennessee to Myrtle Beach during the summers and Conway was always a traffic mess, as was Myrtle Beach. That was longer back than I care to think about, but I expect it hasn't gotten better given the enormous growth in that area.

My vote is for CAE.

David

gregm likes this.
  16. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, I've done the CLT thing and the MYR thing. Next week is CAE. So far, MYR is on top, with the best drive but with a RJ from ATL. Looks like CAE with be a variety of equipment.... RJs, A319 and MDs. If the rental pickup is easy/quick and the drive to Florence is OK, I'll probably stick with CAE.. I WILL NEVER FLY TO CLT AGAIN!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would fly through CLT but I wouldn't step outside of the airport if I had to. :oops:

gregm likes this.
  18. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:

The road to Myrtle Beach sucks in the summer. Not to bad in winter but summer I try to avoid it at all costs. I20 is a piece of cake unless you are around ATL and I77 is only really bad going through CLT.

(I drive for a living so this all in my wheelhouse. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Flyer1976, gregm and DiverDave like this.
  19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I booked to CAE for the next 2 weeks.

20. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I hate to mention this option, you could save a couple of hours each time by "sucking it up" and taking the Spirit nonstop FLL-MYR.

Flyer1976 and gregm like this.
  21. Keef

Keef Active Member

Status Points:
    CAE is a small airport (we live here) and recently went through the Pre Check lane on our way to LAS.

They failed to inform us that removing our shoes etc. was not required but it did move us into a quicker lane. I understand the TSA staff have been reminded about the clothing rules now but of course it is still up to them at any given moment in time...

Now that being said, the wait time at CAE isn't very long to begin with and grabbing a vehicle from the car rental agencies downstairs in the baggage claim area is very simple and the cars are parked right outside of the exit doors!

Your no more than 10 minutes from the interstate and on your way...

gregm likes this.
  22. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spirit? What's that? :rolleyes:

Flyer1976 and DiverDave like this.
  23. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm looking fwd to Monday to check it out.

24. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I-20 from CAE to FLO is a breeze though there has been some construction for a while near Clemson Road right on the edge of CAE that gets a little backed up during rush hours. My grandad lives near there so hopefully it will be finished one of these days to make that drive easier.

FLO to MYR is a pain. I don't really care for MYR in any capacity so it's not a place I visit often.

DiverDave and gregm like this.
  25. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I will be avoiding rush hour on Monday and, depending on the drive time, might avoid it Thursday afternoon. I actually enjoyed both the drive from MYR to Florence and the reverse. MYR was really easy to get to and had PreCheck. I was in, through security and at the gate in a flash.