Commonwealth Restaurant, San Francisco (Mission district)

Discussion in 'California' started by Gaucho, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the pleasure of being hosted at this Restaurant by two of the SFO Bay Area Ambassadors.... his Excellency SoFlyOn and his Excellency Bay Pisco Shark.

Before getting into the details of the food, let me say that anybody that is not from California that will be visiting the SFO area and needs any suggestion or advice, you must consult with any of these two Gentlemen as they are the absolute experts on all things SFO related. From places to eat, to avoiding traffic, shopping, sight-seeing or temporary places of abode… these guys are the best resource.

Back to the restaurant review…. Commonwealth was an excellent experience. The style of the food is very SFO, with strict quality control over ingredients and a cuisine that is vividly tasty, light, and with various touches of originality. The menu is not very long (a good sign in my view), service is good without being stuffy, and they also have a super generous BYOB/corkage policy that is suited for all wine aficionados.

Highlights of what I had included the lamb cheeks – cooked to perfection, and my starter of seared scallops was also memorable. My hosts also had some great dishes; I remember the sardines starter was a perfect balance of not too fishy and amazing texture.

If I had to note something that was even slightly ‘negative’, the only thing I can note to is the fact that portions are somewhat small…. This goes in line with the current CA trend to lighter and more healthy eating, so I guess I’m at fault for wanting to pig out on larger portions…. Not to say I remained hungry, but I could have eaten more for sure. Another thing I noticed was the absence of a bread basket…. again, this is not something that’s a huge deal but nice on premise made breads is something I enjoy at restaurants.

Commonwealth is a happening and busy place, so the ambiance is perhaps not the best for a romantic one-on-one date, but will do perfect for a night out with friends or amongst couples. Parking lot right next door is an added plus….. the neighborhood seems like a challenge to find parking so this detail is not a minor one.

For details on this great restaurant, please see…
    http://www.commonwealthsf.com/

2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a recent trip to SF, I was taken to Aziza. A fabulous restaurant and dining experience. Well deserved Michelin star. And I recommend the Nikkei tuna ceviche and Leche de Tigre sampler at La Mar Cebecheria (an outpost of Peruvian star chef Gaston Acurio).

Gaucho likes this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up.... I will have the SFO Excellencies consider this for our short list of places to go to next time Im in town..... :p

4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah Yeah. Ok. <Like>.

Now what about the wine details. What did you guys drink? Was there corkage? Did Mi Amigo bring a bottle from EZE? Inquiring minds want to know.

SC Flier and Gaucho like this.
  5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I am indeed a fan of Malbec and Torrontes from Colome -- was sorry to have missed you. Next time you're in town let me know.

Gaucho likes this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked up a couple bottles of Gato Negro (but in the luxury bottles, not in the traditional boxes) from the market on the corner.

Gaucho and dhammer53 like this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite....... I will post the wine details later.... and no, there was no black feline from the wrong side of the Andes...

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will let you know next time Im in town and we again hit the restaurant scene.... :cool:

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mi querido Dan Martillo..... here are the wine details....

a) 2006 Felipe Rutini, Mendoza
    - this is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Merlot sourced from the top microclimates of Mendoza. Made by Mariano Di Paola, one of the Doyens of the Argentine Winemaking Industry. Aged in new french oak for 24 months, cellared 2 years before release to market. Only 1200 cases (6 bottles) made.

b) 2005 Benegas Lynch FBL Barrica, Upper Mendoza Riverbank
    - made from fruit sourced entirely from the Benegas Family Vineyards at Finca Libertad, this wine is a blend of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot. The Cab Franc vines are over 100 years old, ungrafted rootstock. Federico Benegas makes this wine only in top vintage years. Only 600 bottles (yes, bottles) made.

Perhaps Dr. Tiburon Pisco and his colleague Professor Kiwi SoFlyOn care to write the actual reviews on these examples of Spoof Juice from the proper side of the Andes.....?

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The Felipe Rutini was a memorable wine, and one of the top reds I've had in recent memory. The new french oak comes as somewhat of a surprise. If another bottle of this ever ended up in my lap, I would probably be quite selfish.

The Benegas Lynch FBL was a very nice bottle of wine. If another bottle of this ever ended up in my lap, I would share, but not with just anyone.

The three of us ate a variety of different food, and I think they both went well with our various courses, no matter what we ordered. Unlike Don Dan Borrachito, I did not make any tasting notes, so now you have the remnant haze of my memory, weeks later, as I recover from my first class experience to/from EZE on UA, which strangely did not serve either of these wines in their First Class cabina.

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    So where is the food & wine review from Professore Kiwi SoFlyOn....?????

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea. I hear he is on strike due to some "clausurado" sign at the asado he was supposed to eat at. I'll have to investigate the place to determine the reason for the clausurado - vermin, other infestations, or perhaps worse? :eek::oops: ;)

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your intelligence is incorrect..... must have gotten the report for another subject. Turns out the Kiwi was busy all day with trying to purchase a new imported dryer..... the doode has high standards... :rolleyes:

And yes.... the asado as home was postponed since my boss (aka my better half) doesnt want to eat inside and our outside table is "clausurado" because of some stupid scaffolding thats still up - we are painting the house at this time.....

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.