Comments/Feedback on Conversation with Kiva 14 June 12

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by milchap, Jun 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premal confirmed that 15% of loans posted in May expired unfunded. Kiva was very surprised by this number.
    I hope the epiphany leads to some corrective action.

Toula, nime01, fcjapan and 4 others like this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was disappointed in the call. I went into it hoping to learn something new... I don't know anything new. There was nothing stated to really address the new big loans, or the high expiration (other than a mention of it.)

Looks like things are going to stay the same until lenders start ignoring the big loans and flooding the little ones.

Toula, nime01, fcjapan and 4 others like this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will find the small loans and lend to them.

Toula, nime01, fcjapan and 5 others like this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback on the call for those who missed out participating listening in.

Toula, nime01, fcjapan and 6 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was saddened. Premal said it was a big surprise to see the rise in unfunded loans despite the conversations about that very subject we had had during the DO. It is sad but true that they really do not think we've anything to offer other than money.

Toula, nime01, fcjapan and 3 others like this.
  6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course all they want is the money from lenders. How else does their business model function.

The Kool-Aid does not taste so good today after listening in on the call. I am bothered that Mr. Shah said he was surprised at the 15% rate for failed loans. Yet, he never was able to express the insight that the huge loans to Barefoot and education blocked funding to the truly needy entrepreneurs and their MFIs.

Fortunately, tomorrow is a day of celebration as milchap should be honored on the anniversary of his birth.

Good luck to the rest of you. I look forward to reading more input on the issues Kiva is now facing.

Toula, jbcarioca, nime01 and 6 others like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged by the expression of surprise.

Was there any sense that Kiva believes it has any responsibility for this fiasco? Do they understand that they need to fix how they are doing things, or is it all about hoping the MFIs adapt to the new laissez-faire system, and lenders step up the the plate?

fcjapan, Toula, scarecrow and 5 others like this.
  8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My conclusion is the latter.:(

fcjapan, scarecrow, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  9. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is bad news indeed. Somehow I thought they were going to listen (if just a little) to the lender communities.

fcjapan, scarecrow, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, no concrete solutions, my question was ignored by Bob who was picking out questions from the Chat. I asked if they would consider other solutions like incrementally increasing the # of loans on Kiva as opposed to making it fully open market. I had also emailed Ali about the problem, and while she said it may have been a technical issue, she did say "Bob was randomly pulling questions and trying to cover them, but didn't get to everything we were getting."

apparently, my question was not one of the topics that needed to be covered! :(

I noticed a few comments on teams over on Kiva and kivafriends about how responsive Kiva is and are looking to address the issue once they perform their analysis (with references to how the US program was panned and in demand at the same time as partial justification of what is going on now). Unfortunately, many lenders were not at our Kiva Do, so they did not know that this was a heated discussion. Further, these exact points were made to them before the meeting and at the Do, so disappointing given the information we have.

fcjapan, Toula, scarecrow and 7 others like this.
  11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope team members are voicing their concerns to kiva at contactus@kiva.org . The more members that voice their opinions on the present situation the better chance that we can influence the course of events.

fcjapan, MissBurrill, Toula and 7 others like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice today that I have received 20% of expected credits. Usually on Credit Day I receive 80% or more. Problem with the processing of repayments? Or the Open Marketplace at work? Is this the new normal?

13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good questions.....

14. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    x2.

Experiencing the same thing here.

fcjapan, YULtide, MissBurrill and 4 others like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news. I just had an email from Kiva saying they'll process my withdrawals without paper. :)

fcjapan, YULtide, MissBurrill and 6 others like this.
  16. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Kiva bi-polar?

fcjapan, YULtide, MissBurrill and 6 others like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are we? Am I? Ask not a question unless you already know the answer, it is said.

fcjapan, YULtide, MissBurrill and 4 others like this.
  18. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think we are, and I know I am not :)

And I think I do know the answer. They present a bi-polar stance to get more money, and that is it. :(

Tell you good things, even expand on the background of something, all the while making more of the same in the background. Expecting new lenders to just jump at it while they deflate their most excited members.

Then again I don't see the other groups complaining about these things so much, so maybe it is just us, but I really don't think so. We are, and have been an enthusiastic team, as evidenced by the growth this month even. Even with the large influx of new lenders we have a high # loans per member average, and we'd like to keep it that way encouraging all to loan often through a peer pressure network :D

Dreamworks, milchap, fcjapan and 8 others like this.
  19. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been a Kiva lender for longer than I have been a Milepoint Kiva lender, but am only hazily understanding the issues you are addressing here. Unfortunately, I missed the Do, as I was busy redeeming miles for travel, so would it be possible for someone to post a Cliff's Notes version of the expiring loans issues (and/or others?) Thanks!

20. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The long and short of it as I see it is this: Kiva allowed some FPs to flood the market with loans. The lender pool could not/would not absorb all of the new loans, and that caused the expiration rate to sky-rocket to 15% in May... 1 in every 6.7 loans expired without funding.

That, as well as the addition of some student loans (that do not start to pay off for years,) and the appearance of the BareFoot power loans (in the tens-of-thousands of $$) have caused some disgruntlement among the team.

scarecrow, YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  21. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition, the introduction of SMEs (small medium enterprises) to the mix of loans has brought some concern that Kiva was straying from the Kiva microlending brand.
    These concerns were voiced at the DO and some very astute lenders voiced the additional concern that such an expansion could flood the marketplace with the Kiva introduction of the open marketplace where controls on how many loans were relaxed and MFIs could post loans as they desired.

22. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This summarizes the general feeling pretty well, IMO.

23. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an email from Ali, she said that she wished more Milepointers asked questions during the call. I'm guessing as long as they have someone moderating and paraphrasing chat messages, that actually talking on the call might be the way to go.

24. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The next call, I suggest that they use a staff member to moderate.....then I will feel comfortable to ask a question.

25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm gonna say that I am a tad annoyed and disappointed if she said this :confused: as I have had an email exchange with her about this! :mad:

I asked a question using the online chat which Bob did not pick up. fcjapan asked a similar question which was not asked to Premal. We both asked about expiring loans which really has been a big topic of discussion relating to open marketplace. What more can we do to get the question answered? :rolleyes: