Coming home to Newark - shame!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Steven Schwartz, Jul 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrived home from a trip to Russia followed by a Baltic cruise. Flew home on BA in First Class. We had experienced DME in Moscow, Copenhagen and Heathrow.

When we arrived, three jumbo jets arrived about the same time. There were two lines - one for US citizens and one for international travelers. There were 4 and then 5 agents for US and a mere 2 for the international travelers. You can imagine how long it took - the lines snaked forever. I feel pity for anyone having to make a connection and embarrassed, as an American, at the incredibly lousy welcome. I know it was July 4th and it may have been a skeleton crew, but the flights were still coming and the manpower issue was insane. I had nothing like this at the other airports.

We should do better.

sobore, wrxmom, Nelumbo and 4 others like this.
  2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait, worse than DME? How long did it take you to get through there and how long did it take to get through in Newark?

uggboy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how much does the US charge each arriving visitor for that awesome "service"?

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome back! :cool:

LIH Prem likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A touch over $30 per arrival, plus the cost of the visa or ETSA application/marketing surcharge.

6. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, you had a bad experience at Newark. However, I sure would like to compare that with the 2+ hour wait in the immigration control line at Heathrow, that we experienced in April. The Fast Track for FC PAX had been shut down at 1 PM. The swine (an all British term) had some grievances with their employer, but to take it out on us, the travelers, people bringing in money to their country, is inexcusable. In future, I will not make a connection through or stay in London for a couple of days to break the trip, if I can help it. More power to the poor, persecuted, overworked stamp-crazy Nazis.

On a different note, hope to see your trip report whenever you get around to writing and posting one, as we too have a trip planned to Russia in spring next year.

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention that in a moment of monumental laziness, I had filled out the Global Entry application and never got around to making appointments for me and my wife at Newark to activate it. My business partner did it and sailed thru - time from getting off the plane to getting his luggage was under five minutes!

That's a mistake I will never make again!

wrxmom and viguera like this.
  8. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think LAX TBIT in the morning still wins if we're rating the level of chaos at immigration. Why CBP wants to talk to all these foreigners who already went through visa interviews is beyond me.

(It's rarely Canadians or VWP country nationals who spend a long time at the immigration desk... it's usually the CBP officer trying to talk to people who don't speak English)

9. flyingbrick
    Original Member

flyingbrick Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the American concept of "layers of security". Do the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result. (I.e., a definition of insanity.)

USAF_Pride and Santander like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think if people knew how much they are paying for standing in line, some would not return (there are already enough who don't come because of the finger printing etc.).

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Global Entry, do not leave home without it :cool:

daemon14 likes this.
  12. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you want to see long waits you should try a ferry from greece to turkey like we did yesterday!

did you get the new BA F or old F? had old F SFO-LHR, hoping for new F on Sunday for the flight home.

13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Old First outbound and New First on the return. While I think the design of the new cabin is striking, the only significant difference to me is the TV screen. The real edge is the BA staff - our Purser this time was hysterical, warm and professional - hard combo to beat.

And either way, you get to use/enjoy the BA Heathrow First lounge. We sat there with our friends as our guests and their final flight were to PHL in Club, having a meal and saying how crazy/wonderful it is to have experiences like this thanks to the points/miles game.

14. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    For real! The CCR is amazing, and the staff in F are great esp. compared to UA and AA.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If too much time has elapsed, you might have to reapply and pay the fee again. IIRC you must schedule an interview within 30 days of getting the preapproval email, but you can reschedule and push the interview back, perhaps without limit.

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  16. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    WHATEVER IT COSTS!!!:D