Combining BA and Iberia

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by cvarming, May 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I just managed to transfer points from Amex to BA and then combine my BA avios with my Iberia account. While this sounds simple, I had to make several calls to Iberia to figure out how to get it to work. There is a number of published conditions your accounts must satisfy in order to transfer (using CMA) points between them. For instance, your Iberia account must be at least 90 days old. Besides the requirements listed in the terms and conditions of CMA your accounts must also be active, i.e., there must have been transactions on both your accounts in the last 18 months. My BA accounts was deemed active as I had transferred points into it from amex, but my Iberia account was a 90 days old virgin. To get around this unpublished requirement, I transferred 1000 points from amex into my Iberia account. Then 24 after they posted I was able to transfer a chunk from BA to Iberia.

One may wonder why anyone would want Iberia avios instead of BA avios. Well, I needed to redeem some tickets on the Iberia air shuttle between Madrid and Barcelona. I wanted to use amex points, and right now there is a 50% bonus when transferring from amex to BA. So 7000 amex points gave me two open one-way tickets MAD-BCN, plus a few extra BA miles.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well done

3. datlas4

datlas4 New Member

Status Points:
    What is CMA? I'm also having trouble transferring BA to Iberia Avios. Please let me know as I would like to book JFK to Barcelona on Iberia using the Iberia avios. I've had the Iberia avios accounts for over 90 days so that's not the problem. Thanks so much!

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Combine My Avios.

5. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look up thread for how to activate your Iberia account if you have not had any activity yet.