Combining a paid ticket with award ticket

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tjtj, Jan 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tjtj

tjtj Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to fly SFO-ORD-CMI, but that costs more than twice as much as SFO-ORD. I'd like to pay for an SFO-ORD ticket and use 9k BA miles (round trip) to fly ORD-CMI. If my flight to ORD is cancelled, delayed, etc., what will be my situation for trying to continue on to CMI? Could I combine these onto a single PNR?

Thanks,
    Tim

rwoman and deant like this.
  2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Tim -

Unfortunately you cannot combine PNRs from two different forms of bookings (paid/award). After making your booking, do advise BA/AA of your situation so they can note it in your reservation. While the airline is not obligated to do anything for canceled service on separate PNRs, they'r eusulayy pretty good about helping you out.

You may want to leave some time in between the flights for some assurance.

tjtj, rwoman and deant like this.
  3. tjtj

tjtj Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information, gpaya!

rwoman and deant like this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Would definitely leave more time between flights just in case you are delayed.

tjtj and rwoman like this.
  5. Krysia

Krysia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, you can "link" the tickets, we flew DFW-BUD on a paid ticket BUD-WAW on an award . they linked them and we were fine, but make sure it is done at SFO, as a friend flew the same route out of ORD and the agent didn't know how to do it and actually made my wheelchair bound friend collect luggage in BUD and recheck....but she said she couldn't check his luggage because the second flight was tomorrow, and he doesn't travel enough to ask for a supervisor. Once they are linked you are covered in case of any issues.

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  6. tjtj

tjtj Active Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! I will be doing this.

7. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Linking the tickets has the same effect of noting it on a reservation. Since they are still separate PNRs, the airline is still not obligated to get you to your final destination due to SNAFU.

8. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Understanding that one cannot combine PNR's when one is paid and the other is award, can one combine two AA PNR's when both are paid? I ask because I am planning a 2013 family trip, and will be taking some nieces/nephews along, and I would like to have all 8 passengers on one PNR, if possible.

9. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no way to combine PNRs, unfortunately. You can, however, call AA customer service and ask them to note in your reservation that the PNRs are linked.