Coins could replace dollar bills

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by alohastephen, Oct 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be fine with me. Then again, this has been suggested many times in the past, so we'll see if the budget situation makes it a reality this time.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one will use dollar coins unless they phase out bills. As long as bills are around, I'll prefer to carry them. And once coins are the only option, I won't carry those, either. I'll just put them in my coin jar. Same as I do with 1 and 2 euro coins.

I also don't see why we need a new dollar coin. Can't one of the last three be a good enough replacement?

CrankyScott likes this.
  4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    What makes the €1 and €2 coins "work" is their (relative) small size. I'd be much more likely to use a $1 coin if it were about the size of the €1 coin.

5. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 100 yen in in Japan works because it is relatively small (about the same a s a quarter), plus there are no bills available to choose between.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we know that because that's the current situation :) Coins are available but not used very much.

I usually have a few euro coins in my pocket when I am traveling in Europe (I keep loose coins in the front pocket of my pants, not in my wallet, which would be thinner without the dollar bills). Anything smaller goes into the coin jar, just as any coin in the US. I do keep a pile of quarters in the car for parking meters.

Indeed.

7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    They phased out the $1 and $2 bills in Australia years ago and these were replaced by coins. Have to say it is the best thing they did. Surprisingly even when you think you are broke you can normally dive into your bag and find $20 of these coins.

Other smart thing they did in Oz years ago was get rid of the 1 and 2 cent coins. 5 cents is the lowest denomination, at shops everything is rounded up or down. Can't see the point of the penny myself.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even 5 cents may be too much. I'm still amazed they have 1 cent coins in Europe. The issue seems to be taxes. There's no reason to have small value coins if taxes are included in the price.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But businesses love prices that end with 0.09 ... So maybe a nine cent coin should replace the 1, 2 and 5 cent coins in the Euro countries :)