Coffee

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sfo1, Oct 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am going to Colombia and would like to purchase some coffee to bring home. Suggestions for "brands" would be appreciated, and was there any problem bring through US customs, either beans or ground?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean Colombia?;)

viguera and sfo1 like this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it was pretty early this morning when I posted this.:eek:

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you could use some of that Colombian coffee :)...

BTW, the coffee brand "Folgers" claims to be 100% Colombian coffee, and it is domestic:D...

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, Folgers in the red tin can. Would like something directly from there. Brought some coffee from Brazil and the people I gave it to said there was no comparison to the domestic coffee.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestic in what way? Ruined domestically?

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Folgers is a domestic brand, ain't it? Whether it gets ruined domestically, you'd have to ask "Juan Valdez"...;)

Brazilian coffee has now overtaken Colombian as #1, and I hear that Vietnamese is now considered #2, with Colombian #3.

As for what brand to buy, I think that it will be obvious once you get there because the top brands will be featured prominently and cost a bit more. I would wait until on the way out and get it duty free...

sfo1 likes this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good choice to make your trip memorable! ;) I don't know if coffee is allowed through the customs. But I suspect the customs agents are on alert for certain illegal Colombian exports, that have the same feel and consistency as ground coffee in a bag. So your souvenir might get opened and ruined either way...

sfo1 likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quality of really good coffee is not quantified by country but by the individual producers worldwide.
    Brazil is # 1 only in total production..... top gourmet brands??? well all I can say is they are catching up.:)

For an informative and knowledable discussion I will point to this thread

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/do-you-want-really-good-coffee-from-brazil.35752/#post-1381486

There are a myriad of websites which can provide infomation on the most popular brands from most countries.........heres one that came readily to memory
    http://www.gourmetcoffeelovers.com/best-coffee-in-the-world/

Having brought both beans ( much better) and ground through US customs multiple times you should have no problems unless you bring in the no label pressed bricks which btw is quite common in Colombia then you may have a customs officer sticking a penknife into your intended brew.

infamousdx and sfo1 like this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to pick nits here, but as I read their website, "100% Columbian" is only one brand within the Folgers coffee line. Not all Folgers products are marketed as 100% Colombian no more than all Chevrolets are Chevy Volts. http://www.folgers.com/about-us/faq.aspx#q4

Back to the subject matter here, however, I doubt seriously one could, or would want to, bring back cans of Folgers when flying home from South America!

On a separate coffee-related matter, I did some cursing earlier this afternoon when I discovered 100% Kauai (or Molokai) coffee, until recently readily available on Wichita shelves (first at Sam's Club, then at Wal-Mart) no longer is. Kauai and Molokai coffees are not as ritzky as 100% Kona, but met our needs (and also the desire to "buy United States") at a reasonable price. Hope this doesn't mean having to bring a bunch back in carry-ons on returns from HNL, as we used to do 10 years ago. (Did manage to order a three sacks from Amazon at an only slightly worse price than Wal-Mart's, a few minutes ago.)

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd hoped the humor in Folgers' "100% Colombian" claim & iconic "Juan Valdez" would come through...

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, it did. :) Particularly since I used to know a man named Juan Valdez who had nothing to do with coffee and was mighty tired of the ribbing but eventually decided to roll with it. He almost began to enjoy it. My earlier post was a folo-on to one of yours earlier in the afternoon, before Juan, when you were mentioning a domestic brand marketing itself as 100% Colombian.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That prior post was just as tongue-in-cheek.... Note the Big Green Grin:

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    icurhere2 and sfo1 like this.