Codeshare vs. Interline Airline partners

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by mbandawat, Jan 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mbandawat

mbandawat Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused between the two. I know a Codeshare partner can be an airline partner in the same airline alliance, e.g., American Airlines & British Airways, but not necessarily. An interline partner is using multiple airlines and then submitting to the airline frequent flyer program of your choice to get mileage credit.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, a partner is either a carrier in the same alliance or an airline with a bilateral partnership agreement, such as AA and AS or DL and VA/VS. Usually partners allow earning and/or redemption of miles on each other's flights; sometimes there can be additional benefits such as upgrades, free bags, lounge reciprocity, etc.

A codeshare means that a flight is marketed (sold) under the the other carrier's flight number by the other airline, often facilitating connections and through fares. It can also have implications for FF credit.

Interlining is an agreement that is weaker and more extensive than an alliance. In general, most major legacy carriers interline with each other, but one must verify this for particular combinations of airlines. It usually means that travel can be on the same itinerary or ticket, bags can be checked through, and it is possible for one airline to rebook passengers onto the other airline if they choose to do so. It often means that through check in is possible, with one airline issuing boarding passes for the other carrier, but this doesn't always work and some airlines always want to reprint the boarding pass themselves.

3. mbandawat

mbandawat Active Member

Status Points:
    Ok, for example I'm taking a Codeshare flight that has a China Airlines (CI) number and a Virgin America (VX) number; this is from China Airlines website: From LAX to Dallas - Fort Worth (DAL) China Airlines flight # CI9600 is the same exact flight for Virgin America's flight # VX882. Can I choose which airline I want frequent flyer miles from - China Airlines or Virgin America? For Interline Partners, let's take a look at Aeroflot Bonus which has over 100 Interline partners; a few of them include: Adria Airways, Aegean, Air Algerie, Air Canada, Air China, Alaska Airlines, Air Tahiti Nui, American Airlines, US Airways, Air France, KLM, Alitalia, United, Copa. Were I fly to on any of Aeroflot's Interline partners despite not having a to/from point of origin of Moscow in my trip itinerary, do I get frequent mileage credit for Aeroflot Bonus or can I choose which frequent flyer program to credit the miles?

4. GoldenFlyer

GoldenFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Between the Alliance there code shares and of course there are the non alliance partners and the company can have code shares with them as an exemple Turkish Airlines is a Star Alliance member but have code shared flights with Royal air Maroc.
    I wish u got it.