Resolved Code issues

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by kiwi, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of issues I've noticed with [code][/plain tags.

1) Any quote of a post containing code automatically becomes giant in the reply even if original is small.

[url=http://milepoint.com/forums/posts/82017]example post showing this[/url]

2) Any links inside code are treated as plain text. If I have a long list and wish to create a scroll bar I usually use code tags. However that makes links unusable. I haven't yet found a way around this.

[url=http://milepoint.com/forums/posts/75404/]example post showing this[/url]

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I don't see this problem in the post linked, the code block is quite small from what I'm seeing. What am I missing?

This would be working as intended I believe, in that bb code is meant to be treated as plain text so that you can use the code tags to easily let someone know the correct code for bb code without saying something along the lines of "remove the space after the..." or "replace the x with..." to explain it.

There is a chance we might be able to something similar to this for a scrolling bit like you are looking for in the future though, but it would be a separate tag from:
    Code:
    [code]
    more than likely.

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    On 1) this post still shows to me as a huge code box.
    On 2) On MP [plain] can be used to reveal BB code, so [code] is not needed for that purpose. I have some posts with long lists which I'd like to get the scrollbars to keep post size manageable AND content in the list needs BB code (for links, formatting). Currently this is not possible.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an aside, my post above shows using [code] instead of [plain] is not ideal. A post using [code] to reveal BB code looks odd when quoted. A quote of a post using [plain] does not look odd.

5. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Xenforo's implementation of the [CODE] BBCode tag is, indeed, incorrect. This tag is intended to 'mimic' the <PRE> tag in HTML and all formatting tags within it should be parsed.

vBulletin and the demo parser at http://www.BBCode.org/playground.php can be used to confirm the proper and established behaviour for the [CODE] tag.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I reported in the first days the site was live that the code tag didn't allow for formatting inside of the tags, breaking all sorts of things. It seems that more and more "new features" are being added without respect for getting the base operations of the site actually fully functional. Not so surprising, though disappointing.

7. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
  8. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Nice find KVS. So there is a way to do this already in our installation, though I had no idea before. Just use the code:

Code:
     [code=rich][u]a code block with formatting[/u]
    (close the above with [/close])

Non coded version:

Code:
    a code block with formatting