Coach upgrades ord to lhr

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ord_a380, Nov 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    HAs anyone been successful in coach to business upgrades opening up closer to flight when seats haven't sold and used miles to upgrade? Also potential kiosk upgrades?

2. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called United to upgrade my flight to Frankfurt using miles and was told it was 20,000 miles each way. Then she added that there was a $475 ticketing fee going and $500 ticketing fee coming back. I decided then that since I have a row of 3 to myself so far, I would stick with E+.

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it the day of before from LHR - paid my $350 and signed away 25k miles...:)

4. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost always (in fact, I think, always) and I travel this route a lot. Using SWU as an EXP.

5. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you do this at the airport or over phone with aa.. So i am out of swu's currently and aa didnt have any seats avail to upgrade with miles currently but ton of open seats.. I was hoping my peers here have had good luck snagging upgrades either at the kiosk or over the phone or the check in agent.

My flights are the ord to lhr day flight and the 1:15 pm flight home..

6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe they will waitlist you with the miles+copay option, just as they would with a SWU.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did it in person at the Admirals Club. :)