coach mini-RTW for 60K points (limited opportunity)

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Sep 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    How you say?

and thank you for asking, lets disregard those pesky taxes and fees for the moment....
    12.5K LHR - YVR Virgin Atlantic FC points (current half off coach sale)
    25K YVR - TYO BA Avios on JAL (25K for 4000-5500 oneway flight miles redemption, also works for SFO and SEA <5500 miles)
    22.5K TYO - LHR Virgin Atlantic FC points (regular redemption and a great overlooked value)
    60K total

Comment: Just because you can doesn't mean you should ....but an option to the legendary but increasingly elusive US Airways 60K/90K mini-RTW north Asia redemption

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same is available for 65K points (and without the travel distance limits Avios present) from United. Also, no YQ on UA awards.

boondr likes this.
  3. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback, you're hinting that an inexpensive YQ-free mini-RTW is possible with United MileagePlus, unlike the expensive YQ-laden mini-RTW on Aeroplan . I knew something like East Coast/Europe(stopover)/Asia(destination)/West Coast was possible, basically a MileagePlus 65K saver North America to Asia redemption with an open jaw in the Continental US. However, I'm not sure if this is bookable from the same city, unless you hit the jackpot with right telephone agent. (YVR-TYO coach YQ/fees using Avios on JL is about $300 one way BTW).

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The UA version only allows 2 stops, not 3 like the Aeroplan one. The example you shared above is also only 2 stops so I figured the comparable UA option was worth noting. UA will also allow some more flexible routings versus requiring the nonstop flights to make it happen.

I should also note that the UA version works for starting in Asia or N. America but not in Europe. So there's that as a difference as well.

5. bretta

bretta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked an elusive US 90K North Asia RTW trip. US gateway -> IST (stop) -> NRT (stop) -> US gateway. Long hauls are on Turkish and ANA. I'm just posting this so everyone knows it's definitely still bookable.

Singapore Flyer likes this.