CO78 EWR-ZRH cancelled on Tues, 5/10/11

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PAinNY, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    Hubby and I were booked on CO78 out of EWR to ZRH on this past Tuesday. The flight was scheduled for 6:35pm and around 5PM they just cancelled the flight. I thought this was strange but what was more absurd was that they automatically rebooked us 2 full days later. Fortunately, we were in the PC and we got rerouted through London and at least left on Tuesday night. We weren't told anything about the reason for the cancellation. I do know from looking at the flight earlier that it was close to a full flight.
    We are non elite and were flying economy. I just checked our CO account and the miles posted at 1.5 the regular mileage - that was sweet - do you think they did that as of way of compensation for the inconvience and all. We eventually did arrive in Zurich only 8 hour later than expected, so, I am not complaining. The flight to London was atrocious with very rude stewardessess and stewards, louiser food than usual and I guess we were tired waiting the additional time to take off. Also, we were not seated near each other but that can be expected since they had so many people to accomodate. We also had another 3 1/2 hour layover in London.
    My questions:1. Does anyone know why flight CO78 was cancelled 2. Is it normal to schedule you two days later and 3. Is it normal to give 1.5 the miles for something like this - I am absolutely certain that being in the President's Club at that time was much to our advantage.
    Thanks
    Pat

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. No clue. What did they say at the airport or on the website's flight status?

2. Probably two days later were the first available seats on this route. Either the following day's flight was already full or those seats were allocated to passengers with higher status or higher fares (or maybe who asked first about rebooking).

3. My guess is that someone rebooked you in full Y to save time.

PAinNY and Ygor like this.
  3. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. No, but I am sure someone here will chime in.

2. Yes. The CO system will book you on the next available CO flight if your gets cancelled. I do not believe the system has the ability to route you via another airline automatically, hence your need to speak to an agent.

3. You got lucky. The agent rebooked you into a full economy class (if you look at your statement, next to the flight there should be a booking code. Yours should say Y), and a full economy class ticked earns 150% EQMs. I forget about RDMs. This was not a form of compensation. Being in the PC definitely helped you get to an knowledgable agent much faster than having to slog out with one at customer service, or praying for a good one on the phone, but in theory, any agent should have been able to rebook you.

Arriving at your destination 8 hrs after you were supposed to sucks. I would email we care and state the facts, saying that you lost 8 hrs of your trip due to their cancellation, and see if you get anything for it. You may get some miles, you may get an e-cert, or you may get nothing. It's worth a try.

PAinNY and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beat me to it. That's what I get for being a chatty cathy.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much - and yes - I am sure the PC club helped. I have to find my ticket to see if I was booked in Y but the computer kept spitting out about 15 papers that I was getting confused:) I didn't want to stand in line and apparently the phones were tied up for hours. The gentlemen sitting next to me on the London flight had been calling for 6 hours to try to extend his vacation - couldn't get through. He started calling at 1PM and nobody answered.
    The board just said cancelled and didn't have my computer with me so couldn't check online.
    8 hours sucks but 2 days sucks more:))

Edited: You are correct, just checked the tickets and we were booked in Y - lucky us