CO vs UA website to redeem miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nolamom, Dec 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is is still best to use the CO website when searching for *Alliance flights? I am looking for SFO-CDG.

From my meager experience it looks like the CO engine is better and has more flexibility/options but I am wondering what the general consensus is?

And if so, shouldn't I just keep my miles in OnePass rather than move them to MileagePlus?

So confused..

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, move your miles to OnePass and use CO.Com; more partners and more options.

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely CO.com

nolamom likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you link your CO and UA accounts either you or the agent can transfer from one account to another real time. On Christmas Day I did a reservation with CO miles + a UA transfer + Chase UR transfer all real time just fine. I linked CO and UA previously.

5. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, iolaire, Interesting that the agent did not mention that, oh well. I think I can do this one on my own w/o agent, but, if so, husband will need to do his (for cash) simultaneously online which will make it a little dicier?

I am not sure why I had them all in UA (?) but I see how easy it is go go back and forth between the UA-CO, and also am very happy with how easy it is to move from UR. That Sapphire card has really paid off!

Does anyone know when the points will actually merge, or if they will?

6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    They should merge sometime in "early" 2012. I'm not sure if there's an official date.

Another reason to book on CO is you're allowed unlimited changes with no fee as long as its more than 21 days before the trip. (just took advantage of this since award space in F just opened up :) )

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that with status? Or does it only apply to same flights different service class?

From my reading of the terms you can change the route but keep the start and end the same but its $75 without status?

8. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I think the *'d remark applies to all members, general or elite. e.g. the fee only applies if you are within 21 days of departure. I believe you can change dates, routing, class of service, or add a stopover if you're more than 21 days in advance regardless of status.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/onepass/rewards/travel/ticketing.aspx

FLIGHT CHANGES: Flight changes, including standby, may be made on the day of departure in accordance with the Same-Day Change Policy. All other itinerary changes will be subject to the applicable change fees below.

OnePass Elite Members
    General Silver Gold Platinum
    Ticketed Dec. 15, 2009 or later $75 per traveler* $50 per traveler* $25 per traveler* $0

* Fee is waived for reward changes 21 days or more in advance, as long as there is no change to the origin and destination.
    Fees are based on the status of the account holder at the time the change is requested.

iolaire likes this.
  9. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Follow-up question:

Did you change within the same miles "fare" category, e.g., from SaverPass Y to SaverPass Y, or among SaverPass categories (e.g., SaverPass C to SaverPass F)?

I ask because I'm looking at doing a C round-trip next NYE, but don't know if we'll have the miles in hand when the 330-day window opens.

10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a trip to Europe for my parents uing miles on CO.com, UA did not have any options what so ever.

11. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I changed from Saver C to Saver F. They only charged the difference in miles (10k per person since we are going to Asia) and taxes.

iolaire and harvson3 like this.
  12. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO's award page seems to show lots of options including CO & UA flights as well as partners. I recently was able to book a UC VS tix using 50,000 CO miles. Not sure how user friendly the UA site is, but from the comments above it doesn't appear to compare to CO's.

yaychemistry likes this.
  13. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Adding to the chorus of CO.com supporters...I've ALWAYS had much better luck finding what I wanted thru CO rather than UA website. I'm relieved to hear that the merged website will primarily retain the CO structure...

yaychemistry, LETTERBOY and TAHKUCT like this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

LETTERBOY likes this.