CO vs. UA In-Flight Entertainment

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DeacFlyer1, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll start by saying I don't fly CO or UA regularly and don't have a dog in the "UA is better than CO and vice-versa" fight that seems to continually go on in this forum. I really don't care about most of the policy changes they implement in the merger as they just don't affect me. However, I really hope they implement CO's IFE system across the existing UA fleet, because the difference is night and day.

Took my first international trip on UA in about three years this past weekend, IAD-LHR-IAD. Was on a 767 on the way out--it had the tiny video screens and handful of movies that played continuously on different channels--this was the same system they had a few years ago when I last flew UA internationally. On the way back, it was a newly configured 777. It had the bigger touch screen, which was definitely an improvement over the 767, but only 7 movies to choose from! I was shocked that with a new IFE system that that was the extent of their selection.

Now maybe this has since changed, but the last time I flew CO long haul was on three roundtrips EWR-HKG and EWR-PEK in 2008/2009. Every 777 I was on during those flights had an IFE system that probably had over 100 movies on it--made 15 hour flights fly by.

The system that CO had three years ago is leaps and bounds better than even the best system that UA only has on a handful of 777's today...I know a lot of you guys aren't crazy about the CO influence in many aspects of the merger, but I'm certainly hoping that CO prevails in at least this area.

Just my random thoughts, as I hadn't seen this aspect of the merger discussed here yet.

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew CO in Y ORD-IAH-HNL and they had IFE on board with the little hand-held controllers (no touch screen). Very nice, especially compared to the UA 777 we flew the previous year with the main cabin movie screen with looped programming. I haven't tried the CO touchscreens, but the AC IFE units are quite nice. I'd imagine the CO IFE is similar. UA could certainly stand to upgrade their IFE to AVOD over time, particularly in the older C classes.

3. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    What you described was a CO767 IFE, which is pretty crappy compared to the AVOD on the CO777 and 752s.
    I think when they add the new lie flat BF seats to the CO 767s they should do the AVOD on those birds as well.

I was on a UA 767 recently, and the IFE on the back sucks. And they did not even bother to update the overhead bins in economy, only in the business and first cabins.

4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's definitely all relative. I've experienced the AC touchscreen AVOD, which is much better than the CO 767 AVOD with the handheld controllers, which is much better than looping screen in the main cabin on most UA birds.

Ygor likes this.
  5. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.
    Worth noting the CO 767 IFE is not a AVOD, but a looping screen where you can pick what looping channel you want to watch, and it also has a couple of games.
    The 777 and 752 AVOD have the ability to choose individual movies you want to watch, music you wanna hear, etc, with the ability to pause and rewind.