CO Upgrade tactics for SK*G / Is it even possible?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by OslJW, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. OslJW

OslJW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi!

Travelling IAH-EWR-OSL tomorrow, Saturday, on CO in Y (my first CO TATL), i am trying to figure out what my options are for upgrading to Business/First on the TATL segment. As all my miles are with SK (I am a SK*G), I have understood that i cannot upgrade for miles (My fare class is to low to use *A upgrades). Currently there is a lot of availability up front (CO 38), the question is how do i get there? Is there any way to buy an upgrade at the gate in EWR or do you know of any other way except from buying up to the higher fare?

I have heard that one tactic may be to obtain an SWU, any (legal) means or marketplaces i could get it?

Thank you for all advice!

OceanCruiser7 likes this.
  2. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown TATL in years, but if memory serves, CO doesn't typically sell upgrades for international flights at the kiosk/gate. I suspect this might have to do with the late collection of landing/airport taxes, but I'm not certain.

Also - again, I'm not 100% certain - I don't believe CO has issued any SWUs yet. IIRC, they're coming sometime this quarter.

I'd say your only hope is an oversold Y cabin and an op-up based on your *G status - but be prepared to sit in Y.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A 2010 CO SWU would have worked but once inside 24 hours of departure requesting the upgrade is generally not possible, even if there are seats in the forward cabin. I tried with another friend a couple weeks ago and CO wouldn't release the seat.

4. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah. Thanks. As I said, I wasn't 100% since I'm only a lowly Silver and don't qualify for SWUs. So what was it that was happening this quarter, then - CR1s?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're going to be issuing new SWUs (like UA's with W+ restrictions) and also CR1s this summer some time.

canucklehead likes this.