CO upgrade list / 24 hour window

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by thegrailer, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So as a UAer I am still new to trying to figure out what is going on with CO flights and the CO website. On .bomb, I can see if my upgrade is pending, i.e., I am on the list. If I am not, I know to call the 1k line and get myself into the UA upgrade lottery. How does that work, if at all, with CO? How do I know if I am on the list? I see nothing on the web and I have a flight in ealry Feb that I'd like to make sure that I at least have a chance to sit up front. (I know about PDA.CO but that now redirects to UA mobile)

Also, is there a 24 hour deadline for requesting upgrades on CO? I was recently rebooked into a fare category that allowed use of a SWU. I was told - actually yelled at - by a UA GA that on CO, there are no upgrade requests permitted after the 24 hour pre-flight window has passed. Is that correct? So if I need to fly to EWR-ARN tomorrow and I have to book a W fare, I am not allowed to even request an upgrade? (getting the upgrade is different, I just want to ask for it). Same for domestic and Cr1s?

Cheers -

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't. If your FF# is in the reservation correctly then you will be included in the sweeps that happen.

Yes.
    I believe so but I'm not certain.

Scottrick and thegrailer like this.
  3. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that and the ticket is in sync. (Which, at least until check-in and being able to see yourself on the ugprade list, is somewhat non-transparent.)

Generally not an issue on a reservation with CO only flights, but you should still pay attention if you see the reservation page shows "there has been a change, please contact reservations to reissue". If you see that, you really should contact CO. (With that said, UA upgrade clearing on a mixed UA/CO reservation will cause that out of sync message. There are various accounts of whether CO can do anything about that or not, and how that influences EUA.)

Scottrick, spaced2 and thegrailer like this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with that message being triggered by a UA upgrade on a mixed itinerary has meant that there was nothing to worry about. My CO upgrades cleared just fine, and I was able to check in with no issue, despite the message. I've had that happen about a dozen times in the last six months.

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the 24 hour deadline to request an upgrade exactly 24 hours before flight time, or does it have to be requested 2 days in advance? This is one policy from CO that should change back to United's upgrade policy.

thegrailer likes this.