CO/UA UDU breaks online check-in

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TheWardofCheap, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I booked a 3-leg one-way flight on .bomb on CO/UA/UA metal. I'm a 1P and was upgraded on the second leg at 72 hours. (As a CO Gold Elite I'm still waiting on the first leg to clear with 17 seats available in F - what's the hold-up CO? *grumble*) Anyhow, the clearing of the UDU upgrade on UA caused a "flight change" alert in CO's system and now when I review the reservation it says I am unable to check-in online. This is troubling for a number of reasons:

1. It is a 5:30am flight. Checking-in online, up to 24 hours in advance would save me precious time when arriving.
    2. Several promotions come around that reward you for using mobile boarding passes. If using cellular and mobile devices to check-in and scan boarding passes is the green and rewarding way to go, this behavior of ticket changes makes you ineligible for those bonus promotions and time saving queueing at the airport.
    3. Now that my ticket has been "changed" in CO's system I am not assured my place as a Gold Elite is maintained in their system for an upgrade on the first leg. It seems like now my only shot at a confirmed upgrade (again, we're 63 hours out with 17 seats in F still available) is to wait until the upgrade clears at the gate long after upgrades are sold at kiosks to other passengers at check-in.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing and do you know of ways to avoid this in the future? I've called CO Elite desk and they weren't able to confirm a F upgrade or remove the flag from the reservation allowing me to check-in online.

Frowny face.

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can't check in online because it is >24 hours out it sounds like. Try again then.

3. Oh yea, I know that part... what I meant was even when I get to 24 hours, 10 or 2 for that matter I will be unable to check in becasue of the "change in ticket" is the same in their system as an incomplete security check where normally you enter your date of birth, sex and ID in advance.

4. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried to call?

5. Yea, spoke to a CO agent. (Forgot to mention that I guess). Perhaps I need to call again and do agent roulette until I get an answer I'm happy with, but I was hoping another board member may have come across this and could offer some tips like "Just tell the agent to hit "F5", then Alt-S, click OK and you're all set. You know... something like that. :p

6. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what you may have to do is wait until the OLCI window opens, and call. That way they can see what the problems are, and maybe an IT support agent will be able to help you.

7. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had that happen twice and both times approached the desk with trepidation only to be handed a new boarding pass for First. Good luck!

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tried and true...hang up and call back again.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let us know the outcome.

10. A call to Continental within the 24 hour window ended up resolving the issue. I wish I had grabbed the CS rep's number so I could call him directly next time. It was the complete opposite of the standard script reading, flowchart call. He heard my concern and knew the solution and worked to solve it. He was able to see the holdups and made the necessary corrections and remained on the line while I used my cell phone to complete mobile check-in. A very nice CS experience.

Ygor likes this.