CO: SWU on a reward ticket & finding award space on CA from URQ to PEK

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dotorg, May 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mother-in-law lives near Urumqi, China.This Christmas and New Year, she wants to come see us in NYC. While she is visiting, we will see my family near MSY.

I plan to book her a reward ticket that goes URC -> PEK (1 day stop) -> EWR -> long stay, perhaps a month -> MSY. The return will be the reverse, though I would love to stick a SFO stop in there (but, that may just be done on a paid ticket, since SFO > PEK is UA metal).

I can't book the URC -> PEK online, so I know I will have to book this by phone. I have no clue as to how to locate the inventory on this portion, though, to plan for calling in. When I look for paid travel on the route, it shows CA flights.

I've only got 88k miles, so this will be booked on Economy SaverPass availability. I have 4 of the old SWUs, though, and won't be using them for anything else. Would love to have her ride in BusinessFirst. Can I use a couple of them on the reward ticket (and, are do they work on UA metal - making the SFO return a possibility)?

2. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    My SWUs are the CO ones (the old ones, not the new ones). Do the UA rules apply?

4. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Also, using United miles you are allowed to have 1 stopover in addition to the destination and also an open jaw.

You can do a trip to Newark (stopover) and then New Orleans (destination). But you would not also be able to do a stopover in San Francisco. And you would not be able to do a stopover in Beijing.

A stopover is defined as a stop of 24 hours or more. So when you say '1 day' in Beijing anything up to 23h59m is permissable. Similarly you could have a 23h59m stop in San Francisco. But not longer.

Alternatively, if you wanted to have a longer stop in either of those cities, you could have an open jaw between Newark and New Orleans. In other words, buy the EWR-MSY flight separately. And then you're using your open jaw, you are still permitted your stopover in either San Francisco or Beijing.

As far as where to search for inventory, the best place is the All Nippon website. Here's a good starter tutorial.
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/newbie-guide-award-booking-without-elite-status.4124/

6. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks gleff. I was thinking the 23h arrangement in Beijing. My MIL wants to get a rest at a hotel before hopping on the long PEK>EWR flight.

So, that would end up being:

URC>PEK (~23h) >EWR (stopover)>MSY (destination) then
    MSY>EWR (can there be another stopover on the return, or should I consider open-jawing this?) >PEK (~23h)>URQ

Are the stopover rules more generous on UA? My miles are currently at CO, but I am reasonably certain it's no big deal to move between programs anymore. I also forgot about my Amex points - I may be able to toss another 40k miles in the pot through that route.

The open jaw might actually be a great way for me to burn off the SWUs. I put some effort into getting them and made at least one run that I would not have otherwise taken to get over 100k for them (thinking my wife and I would be going to URQ this year). I would hate to not use them. The MSY>SFO (can use 3 to ensure we all get the upgrade), SFO>EWR (use one for my wife) flight might be a worthwhile use (and I can gamble that as PPLat I will get an upgrade of my own on that return).

Don't know why I forgot about the ANA site. Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately, URC isn't available as a choice on their site. Entering it manually results in an error. I know there are flights, though. I can book it as a paid flight when I search on CO.