CO seat karma -- from a 757 w/ E+ to a beat 738

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adambadam, Dec 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew back from STT-EWR-SFO last night.

On the first leg I got a reconfigured flat bed 757 with E+ and personal on-demand TVs. I had already reserved the boarding door exit row and the upgrade didn't clear though boy was I happy with my choice still. The rest of the E+ section looked extremely spacious too I must say (it goes row 12->20 now). I was talking to the CO FA who was working the door as people were boarding. He said it was the first time that he had been on a plane that had E+. He was curious how much I had to pay to get it. I then explained that elite members get it for free which he didn't realize. I think its going to be interesting how the CO FAs

The second leg I was on a 737-800. My upgrade cleared in advance. Upon boarding I was immediately suspect. The seats looked well past their prime. I didn't realize it, but apparently 1995 called and wanted its airplane seats back. I mean even the old UA 737s had audio programing. I could understand putting this jet on a short hop, but do you have to be so cruel to do it on a transcon? I honestly think F on some of the RJs is more comfortable.

At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel when the E+ conversion is done.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was that 738 one of those new ones with temporary seats?

3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. I think this plane was fairly old judging by the looks of the over head controls.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only CO 738s without IFE are the temp seats, I believe. not all of the new ones have the Sky Interior so it might look like to old config.

5. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't the 20 seat F 738s still have the Overhead IFE?

6. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those 738's are newer than the 752's so you saw a newer version of the service panel. If you had the temporary seats on the 738 many of them use to be in the 752's before they put new seats in the 752 so that's why they seem a bit aged. Still more comfortable than the regular 738 seats.

From about 2008 until recently these were the overhead bins that CO was getting
    [​IMG]
    IMGP5104 by Olton Hall, on Flickr

Golfingboy and SpecialK like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A number of the 738s still have the old IFE. But I said "no IFE" referring to the OP's note that there wasn't even audio jacks at the seat. They were almost certainly the temp seats.

8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    More than once I have been struck by how little many FAs, across the industry, know about the intricate details of their individual companies' FF programs. In the final analysis, of course, that is not their jobs, and I understand that. But still I would expect them to have picked up more than many of them have. On an AA flight just before Christmas, a fellow passenger was all giddy that he had hit his hundredth segment the day before, and therefore would be "Executive Platinum" for 2012. The lead FA was very pleasant and smiling, but really had very little idea of what he was talking about. And then when he mentioned that with his new status he would be getting virtually unlimited domestic upgrades, space permitting, at no cost, or "all the free sticker upgrades I can use," as far as she was concerned, he might as well have been speaking Greek. I've noticed several conversations with FAs that went more or less the same way.

9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Row 1 had a ridiculous amount of leg room if that helps narrow it down.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And there was a gap between the F seats rather than the seat-backs touching each other.

[​IMG]

These are the temporary seats being used on a small subset of the fleet because CO had a bunch of deliveries scheduled which were impacted by Koito falsifying their testing data, meaning that their seats were no longer allowed on new planes. They'll be replaced soon, with IFE added as well.

adambadam likes this.