CO Phone Checkin

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WaterSki, Jun 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received a call from CO asking me to to automated phone checkin. I had never heard of this service before, so I gave it a try. It was very convenient -- the entire phone call took 1 minute 43 seconds.

The automated system asked me
    (1) if I was travelling with an infant on my lap (no)
    (2) how many bags I plan to check (zero)
    (3) Whether I'd like my boarding pass via fax or at the airport (interesting... no email/PDF/mobile option)

Has anyone else used this system? Is there any way for the customer to proactively phone into the system?

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems rather bizarre. The only think I could think that this may be of use to would be someone who is not computer literate (if you are on vacation and didn't bring your own computer I would think you have better access to a different computer than a fax machine these days). I guess there is something to be had by the airline if they can get people checked in earlier they might be able to better understand how many people will show up the next day if the flight is over sold, but I digress.

I wonder what would have happened if you had said yes to any of the questions? Would you have had an automated system to pre-pay bag fees? I also see this as a missed opportunity to upsell things like E+ as opposed to just having passengers wait until they get to the airport.