Co-pay on upgrade question.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by scubadiver, Apr 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. scubadiver

scubadiver Active Member

Status Points:
    The smile on my lady's face when I inform her that we turn left upon boarding is more precious to me than rubies. So I blew miles for upgrades on our last flight. But the co-pay galls me. Two questions.

1. There were two legs in each direction. We got upgrades on only one leg of each direction. $125 co-pay. Would the $125 have covered both legs, had we been able to get the upgrade for both? Or would United have smacked me with $125 per leg?

2. Is there any strategy to minimize co-pay? Can any of the awards sites help?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The official info is here.

1. The co-pay is for up to the first stopover point, which may also be one's final destination; all segments in between are upgraded for a single co-pay. However, the amount of co-pay depends on whether one will be traveling within a region or between regions so that providing your itinerary would be helpful.

2. The only strategy to minimize co-pay is to achieve top status...

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you on domestic or international travel? The only way that I know of to reduce copay is to buy a more expensive fare class. If there is upgrade space, the $125 covers all legs in a single direction, for 1 passenger.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iffy proposition unless (the reduced co-pay+ higher fare < current fare+co-pay)

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never said it was a good idea :p

6. scubadiver

scubadiver Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. United upgraded me for one leg in each direction. Not that I'm paranoid, but the little voice in my head wonders if that is a strategy to maximize co-pay while minimizing upgrade. They could have bagged another co-pay from a different PAX by giving him the upgrade on the other two legs. Just sayin'...

7. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you share what route you are flying?

8. scubadiver

scubadiver Active Member

Status Points:
    Would you share what route you are flying?

IAD via IAH to BZE. Yes, I really am a scuba diver.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For that routing the co-pay covers both legs. If you redeem points from an account with elite status there would be no co-pay. Otherwise you're stuck paying it. And, unlike most long-haul routes, just getting the short upgrade doesn't get you the cash+miles back.

Flyer1976, genemk2 and IDGflygirl like this.