CO one pass elite miles buy up : Counts to MP?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Jul 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this has been asked before.

Currently, I'm a BD *G and decided to make a run for MP P and likely PE this year. I booked my first trip that will credit to my UA/CO acct. Its booked on CO metal. On the CO site it asked if I wanted to buy up miles, and it is making me buy the elite maximizer as well, its also asking me to use my CO One pass #. Just a few of questions:

1. If I purchase the elite maximizer, and buy the addtl miles, will that elite credit move over to my UA MP acct when I do a miles transfer?

2. Does the elite maximizer purchase also cover mile buy ups on united metal flights, or is there's a completely different platform for buying up EQM eligible miles?

3. Its offering me a first class buy up, if I elect it, does it become an "F" or "A" boarding pass for purposes of EQM multiplier or is it considered and upgrade and I only get my original Y miles?

thanks!

2. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. There is no transfer of EQMs, only RDMs. Your linked accounts keep track of your EQMs on MP and OP, and adds them up in real time for elite status. So if you buy extra EQMs, they will count towards MP Elite status right away.

2. Not sure. I would guess if CO is selling you EQMs on their ticket stock, you should get EQMs, even if it is a UA metal flight.

3. A buy up is a buy up. You are buying up to a higher class fare, so you get the EQMs to go with it. HOWEVER, if you are elite, when you see a buy up offer, it is usually to buy up to a M,B,or Y fare, which gets you an instant upgrade. If you are platinum, you are most likely buying up to an M fare, which I think only gets you 100% EQMs. If you are gold or silver, you are buying up to a B or Y fare, and I think they both get you 150% EQM, but you should double check.

On rarer occasions, a GM will buy up to F if all elites are already upgraded at a fire sale price, and on that I believe you only get your EQMs for the original fare purchased. Buddy of mine bought up to F from EWR to somewhere in FL, and it was only $79 bucks. When I went to CUR, they offered F for $99 (a steal!) for my companion, but I ultimately got him upgraded for free at the airport, although I was sweating thinking that for $99 bucks the seats would have sold in a heart beat for a 4h flight. If you get offered a cheap buy up at OLCI, I would not expect extra EQMs.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. Coming from BD diamond club, this is learning an entirely new, and more complex language.