CO (now UA) EWR-CAI: will/has it been reinstated?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HPN-HRL, Jun 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Sometime late last year Continental announced they would begin to fly EWR-CAI in May of 2011. Then, with all the events in Egypt during February and March, they postponed their inaugural flight indefinitely. Has anyone heard anything more about this? Will these flights eventually be reinstated into the schedule, or are they dropping the route before even flying it? (or has anything been decided?) In January I purchased 3 tickets including these segments to fly to Egypt over Christmas 2011 (and booked a Nile Cruise, but that has travel insurance on it).

Hoping someone here (UA Insider?) has an answer...

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last I heard the route was being pulled. Dunno if it is true or not but that's the most recent version of the rumors I've heard.

3. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    That seems likely. If it is pulled, I'm not looking forward to finding alternate flights...

4. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plenty of *A flights via LHR on BMI and Egyptair.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or via FRA, MUC, IST, ATH and many other European gateways.

6. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, but one of us has to take two flights just to get to EWR - having to take 4 flights each way seems excessive, and will probably cost more.

RE Egyptair - I can't consider taking them, as I found their seats very uncomfortable, even in C.

Also, USA-based airlines tend not to play the "you only earn 50% on this flight" game - it's a pain making sure that the "Y" fare you book on a non-USA-based carrier actually earns 100% on all our frequent flyer programs without overpaying.

7. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try the old or new EgyptAir biz seat? The 77W operating JFK-CAI is now a two-cabin aircraft with flat seats in the J cabin.

8. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was the old seat (LHR-LXR on an Airbus), two years or so ago. In any case, my traveling companions aren't willing to pay for J. If the 77W has tolerable seats and pitch in Y, we may end up doing this - but then I have to arrange transport EWR-JFK for one of us.

9. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been away since posting all of the above, but I finally got around to calling CO. It turns out that bookings on the EWR-CAI route are "protected" (a new term to me - it means they find a workable new routing without charging anything beyond the original ticket cost), using either LH or BD. I chose to reroute us via LHR, using BD. There will be a bit more travel time, but it looks like the BD flights (my first time on bmi) were booked in Y, which earns 150%, so at least I will pick up a few more miles for my time.