CO Miles for Upgrade on NH or OZ

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Efilon87, Feb 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked in Econ (X) on NH and OZ. Called CO and asked if there is any upgrade space avail for my travel date this sunday (LAX-HND/NRT-PEK). Agent said no avail, but I checked online and it looks like about 1/2 of Business is open. Any suggestions?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a very general rule, upgrades require space in certain inventory categories, not just some empty seats in the desired cabin, although note that seat maps can be unreliable indications of how full the flight is. For international upgrades, usually certain high and expensive fare classes are required, for example full Y for a long haul upgrade on an alliance partner.

Expect to fly in coach, but watch for the possibility of cash upgrades being offered when you check in or at the gate.

3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats good to know. The agent said to call back tomorrow as more space might open.

4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't it X is a redemption award booking? Thus, no upgrade allowed?

5. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats what I thought, but the agent last night and the agent this morning said that I am able to upgrade if there were space available.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They might be willing to reissue the Y award as a C award and charge the mileage difference (X->I). Otherwise it isn't going to happen. You should be able to check the inventory yourself just using co.com for regular award searching. If you see the biz award space call it in.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's a matter of reissuing an award ticket, there could be a change fee depending on your elite status and how close (very, in this case) to departure time it is.