CO iPhone/Droid App

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by COFlyerCLE, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week I noticed a lot of people at EWR using mobile boarding passes, but only a few were using the CO app. I thought it worth mentioning to the forum that CO apps exist for both iPhone and Droid, and they are (in my opinion) easier than the pda site.

I use the iPhone app, and here are some of the key features:
    • Online check-in where you can change seats and check bags. Also prompts you for how you'd like your boarding pass delivered... mobile, email, etc.
    • Mobile boarding passes - they don't turn like the pda site does, so it is much easier to use through TSA and boarding. Also doesn't refresh once it is loaded, so if you lose your WiFi/3G, it is still there for you to use (which is key at a place like EWR).
    • Flight status: you can search by flight number or city pairs, then get status, seat maps, standby list, upgrade list, and in-flight amenities, and you can see where your inbound is coming from (and that status).
    • Reservations: it shows you your upcoming reservations in your CO account.
    • Booking flights
    • Airport maps
    • Your OnePass account. Miles, status, progress to status, etc...
    • Location PClubs and RCCs and more.
    • Timetable of all flights
    • Even some games!
    This is probably the most useful app I have, and I'm fairly sure (based on rumor and innuendo!) that the new UA will use this app with modifications.

The iPhone app is available in the AppStore and/or on iTunes for free (someone will have to post how you'd get the Droid app).

Scottrick, Gtitan and Jslo like this.
  2. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's available in the Droid Market.

3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed in the totality. CO's iPhone App is just fantastic. Look forward to the day when the new "United" utilizes the app!

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My one complaint, you can't change seats when you open a reservation, not sure why that functionality is not there....

5. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just downloaded the app. Great tip! I had been using the PDA site. The app is superior. Thanks.

6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trick I use to ensure I don't have to worry about lack of network connectivity is that I take a screen shot of the boarding pass (hold home key + power key together). The screen shots gets added to your Photo Library.

Then at the TSA checkpoint and gate area, I just use the =screen shot and don't worry about the network signal strength.

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait for UA to adopt the app.

8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is the best US airline app on the market for both Android and iOS.

I laugh every time I see the currently running iPhone commercial that features the featureless DL app. Not only does the advertisement clearly show that the app has a very average (at best) three star rating, but it's clearly far less functional than the CO, AA, or WN apps.

COFlyerCLE likes this.
  9. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm quite fond of the app as well, although there's one thing CO needs to change to make using the app easier. If you OLCI through the application, then the barcode immediately appears in the app; if, however, you OLCI on the web (through a computer, say), you get the link to the barcode in e-mail, but there's no obvious way to make the barcode appear in the application. (The solution, of course, is to 'repeat' OLCI in the application, which just triggers a BP 'reprint' to the app.)

CO should give the user the option to automatically deliver any valid mobile BPs to the application (as long as the PNR is linked to the user's OP account) - this way, instead of having to partially repeat OLCI, you just shake to refresh.

10. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't even think to take a screen shot. :D What I've down is to just leave the app or browser open and turn off the screen.

The one thing I didn't like was that the notifications were completely wrong. I was getting notification on my flight I had taken the previous day. I've since turn off notifications. Anyone else have that happen?

11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one option that's easier in the Android version. Thanks to the dedicated menu button on that system, you just have to tap the menu button and then "Reprint boarding pass" while in the reservation, and not have to repeat the entire check-in process. The boarding pass will then download into the app, where it's fast to pull up on the app's home screen, regardless of connection.