CO gave me Y fare on one of the legs on an L fare purchase.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jumbo_cards, Dec 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this happen from time to time? I bought a round trip ticket in L class something like $330 dollars round trip. One stop over, first leg shows L but the second leg shows Y. CO also display this as elite-upgradable fare. Ditto on the return legs as well.

By upgrade rule, since I'm platinum on CO, it should be instant. However I booked with my fiancee who is *G from AC. So I guess they couldn't upgrade me :(

My second question would be, will CO do something in favor of my upgrades for *G members on Y fare? Thanks.

But regardless, this is a welcome surprise. 50% more status miles for me :)

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It happens from time to time for IRROPs but if this is well in advance, you could try splitting the PNR and upgrading but I'm sure you'd like to sit with your fiancee for good reason.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could also be that the fare construction is A-B on an L fare and B-C on a Y fare, though that is unlikely at that price point. Care to share the cities??

4. jumbo_cards

Status Points:
    Not IRROP, this happens right after ticketing.

Flying from SEA-FLL via EWR going there, and IAH coming back. 339 dollars for L class all the way. Maybe someone should buy it again :p maybe there is something buggy with the system!

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not so sure that you can split it to get your upgrade. I booked a ticket with my non-status father earlier this year. Realizing that we wouldn't be upgraded until day of departure because of his non-status, I split the ticket and bought his way up.

CO still had me linked to him, and I couldn't find anyone at CO who could split us. I tried calling several times, but no luck. Because he is a wheelchair passenger, I couldn't get an exit row seat. This despite the fact that I had spliut our tickets and paid his way up.

I rode outbound in coach, even though there had been ample seating available in BF up until the day before. This is the first time I have ever failed to be upgraded between SJO and IAH - a route I fly several times per year. I paid my way up for the return (again with plenty of open seats), and can't get anyone in Continental Customer Care to understand my complaint.

This situation may change with the new rules granting upgrades based on the highest Elite status on the ticket, but I'm not sure I'll trust the system to get it done. I'm thinking that I'll just buy two separate tickets, pay for him to sit up front and trust that I'll get my upgrade to sit with him.

6. jumbo_cards

Status Points:
    Splitting the PNR might cause more harm than good. I'm okay ending up at the back as I normally don't expect myself to be upgraded when traveling with someone else. I don't yearn for domestic business either... My luck with the upgrades are well this year when I'm traveling alone.

CO has a tendency to randomly upgrade me only and leaving my partner behind... which happened to me twice. This is especially true for connections, so I'll actually make sure that I don't get accidentally upgraded and give up my Y seating.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure he can. You flagged your record at booking as being ineligible for an upgrade. That's why it didn't work even after you split the record. The OP is in a very different situation.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is maybe one of just a few changes the newUA is going to keep from UA, that passengers on one PNR will all keep status of the highest member. I could never understand why CO would want to either split up a couple or place all the passengers with the lowest status flyer in the group :confused:

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what one of the agents told me. She couldn't explain to me why the flag couldn't be removed after I had paid for my dad to sit up front and split our tickets. Nobody I spoke to could explain it.

The agent at SJO did confirm to me at outbound departure that I would have been upgraded if not chained to my dad's reservation, and that I would remain flagged on the return. At least I knew that I had to buy the upgrade if I wanted it on the return. It still bewilders me that such a flag can't be altered manually after even Ray Charles could see that the tickets have been split, upgrade for the non-elite paid and a (then) gold member was riding all alone in economy.

All that said, I'm not one who feels like an upgrade is an entitlement. Unless, that is, I have earned my status, accepted the risk associated with buying an economy ticket and the BF seat is available per the terms of my status benefits. I just can't reconcile having to pay for an upgraded seat that I would have received for free as a result of my elite status on any other day.

This started out as a bargain fare, but it ended up being the single most expensive trip between SJO and DFW that I have ever flown.