CO flight attendant gets A airline meal thrown at them :(

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mht_flyer, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's just too bad the FA did not press charges.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kudos to the FA for not pressing charges, though they were certainly deserved. Not worth his/her time or effort. Plus, I assume/hope CO/UA is going to lifetime ban the pax anyway.

Karma is a dish best served hot or cold, but in this case definitely meaty. ;)

hulagrrl210, chrislacey and mht_flyer like this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been on the receiving side of an FA throwing a tray onto the table, but it's hard to imagine what's going through someone's mind to decide and play 'hot potato' with the same meal.

6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SDQ-EWR still receives comp meals in back, but the flight is catered ex-SDQ. Outstation catering, especially in the Caribbean, is hit-or-miss, and mostly miss. No surprise that the meal was not catered to the pax order, and probably no fault of CO either.

Still, that is no excuse for such deplorable behavior. I too hope CO/UA takes the entirely legal step of a lifetime ban of the passenger for assaulting a crewmember.

7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for this type of behavior. I am surprised that the FA didn't press charges.
    Just another example of people behaving badly.

mht_flyer, bonnerbl and goalie like this.
  8. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised the decision to press charges was left up to the FA:

Interference with Flight Crew Members and Attendants

Section 46504 of Title 49, United States Code (formerly section 1472(j) of Title 49 Appendix) sets forth the offense of interference with a flight crew member or flight attendant within the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, which is defined in 49 U.S.C. § 46501(2). The statute applies to any "individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties."

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is ridiculous. I really feel bad for the FA. :(

hulagrrl210 and goalie like this.
  10. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    When things go wrong some people react badly. I wish the FA had pressed charges and agreed to drop them only after passenger completed anger management classes.

Ygor likes this.
  11. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally disgusting behavior :mad: and I feel very bad(ly?) for the F/A :( plus I can't believe I'm saying this, but where's a FAM when you need one. Would have taught this holier-than-thou-DYKWIA-witch a lesson

Ygor, secretsea18 and sobore like this.
  12. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I agree on the kudos part. If the pax doesn't face any consequences for their bad behavior, the bad behavior goes on.

Ygor and Gargoyle like this.
  14. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wow! I have to agree with rggale on this one. I think that not pressing charges (resulting in a lot of lost time for the FA probably) was a really stand-up reaction. I also echo just about everyone else's comments about this person being banned from UACO going forward. Absolutely insane!

15. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shows how ill mannered some people are..

16. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just cannot understand how some people can be so incredibly rude. I really feel sorry for people like that. Imagine having to go through life with a chip on your shoulder. I hope that woman's karma comes back to bite her in the form of a lifetime of middle seats in the back!

mht_flyer likes this.
  17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    There should be zero tolerance for this type of behaviour. If no charges laid, at least ban the person from flying with airline for a while. Children are given timeouts....why not with this adult child !

mht_flyer likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    why is not pressing charges to save the FA lost time a stand up reaction?

19. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because it was a tray of food. Our society is so quick to press charges, sue, etc. Was the act beyond inappropriate? Absolutely! Did the FA truly suffer aside from having to clean themself up? I think that is the real question...and it is one that only the FA can answer.

kwai and seaflyguy like this.
  20. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a form of assault. :eek:

21. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have noted, it's a good bet the passenger in question will be receiving a lifetime ban. If so, is there a point in using the resources of our already-strained judicial system to punish the passenger beyond such a ban? That district attorney and his or her staff the FA would be using undoubtedly have a backlog of more serious cases. I wouldn't want to be the one to ask them to divert their attention because someone threw a meal at me.

22. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You honestly expect me to believe if this FA was a loved one of yours (a mother, father, husband or wife) you would say "it's just a tray of food"? :confused:
    Where do you draw the line? Would the line be if they were serving soup, and the hot soup burned the FA? I mean come on.

Physical assault, and an assault on someone's dignity. This is just so low. I can understand why someone would not want to press charges. The FA probably just wanted to move on, but to ecco someone else here, without consequences, the behavior goes on.

23. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    In situations like this, I believe the apprporiate punishment would be to open the door and shove the offending passenger out, while the plane was still airborne. :)

24. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    c'mon seriously, if you and I are in a meeting at your place of business and I get upset, I can throw something at you w/o you pressing charges??

I fully agree with your quick to suit/sue comment but this would appear to me to be assault, not someone who due to their own idiocy did something to themselves, say spill hot coffee from McD's on their thigh and then decide to sue.

25. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is certainly true. But assault comes in a lot of different types, and I'd venture to say that some are more serious forms than others. In this particular case, if the FA got covered with food without getting hurt (like a cut or burn for example), I'd say that it would be on the lower side of the seriousness scale.

Oh I certainly understand why people would press charges. It is also a different story when talking about a loved one as opposed to yourself. If I was in the same situation, I can't tell you how I would react...I've never been there. Everyone is entitled to their own reaction, and it's a lot easier to have my take on the matter when I (or my family) wasn't involved. If the FA was actually hurt in this incident, then I believe my opinion of not pressing charges would absolutely change. It's a fine line I guess.
    Please understand that I am not saying that what the passenger did was ok...and I certainly hope that UACO will never fly this person again (or any airline for that matter!)