CO EUA upgrade processed for 2 platinums one one PNR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WaterSki, May 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today my travel companion and I (both Platinum) received advance confirmed EUA upgrades for a flight next Saturday on CO metal. We are traveling on a single record (PNR).

It has been widely reported, both on forums and on Continental.com that EUA will not be processed in advance of the airport of there are multiple passengers on a single PNR.

The flight in question is UA-coded, CO-operated, and the upgrade was confirmed 120 hours before departure for two plats on the same PNR.

Could this be a legitimate IT change over at CO that will allow for advance upgrades of multi-passenger PNRs? In this case it was quite simple because both passengers have the same elite level. (No concern about whether the "higher" or "lower" status applies to the upgrade.)

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    EUAs are processed for two people on a PNR, it's just that most people don't receive it since they assume the elite status of the lowest statused person on the record.

In your case you were both Platinum, so status didn't come into play. Had your traveling companion been a Gold then you would have assumed their status until check-in, at which point it prompts you if you want the upgrade. If you click "yes" the PNR is split.

3. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other reason EUAs are rare for two people on a PNR is that you need two seats available in first for the EUA to happen. Sometimes CO will release only one seat at a time.

4. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know (and its logical) that two equal status passengers on 1 PNR will be EUAed if two seats are available.

I suppose two equal level passengers on 1 PNR is not the norm (even among MilePointers and FTers) so most of the descriptions focus on two passengers with different elite levels.

Also it is clearly a good idea to split the record anyway so upgrades can be proecssed one at a time.

5. Vulcan

Vulcan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both my wife and I are Plat and always split the record. Still, it has happened, rarely, that only one of us is upgraded by EUA. Per CO's rule, that is the first person ticketed, even if by a minute.
    Think twice before buying your ticket before your wife's!

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting topic. I did not know any of this - thanks. As a reference point, my traveling companion and I are both UA 1Ks traveling on the same CO PNR and were both upgraded this past weekend. But from reading the above, I think we will be better off on separate PNRs on CO from now on - correct? [side note: only one upgrade would be interesting to experience - I think she'd kill me before I sat up front without her - ]

7. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    An interesting sidepoint on the CO Companion EUA is MMers on CO can designate a person of their choice annually to have the same status as the MM elite. Making Companion Status a key benifit in this situation.