CO CR1s Posted; Cannot Be Used for BF HNL Flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by J.Edward, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was curious to see if I could drop a CO-CR1 onto a EWR-HNL and HNL-IAH sectors (both of which were ticketed in Q) coming up and was told that "your regional upgrade is restricted by fare class and may not be used on this part of the trip."

This leads me to suspect that domestic flights which CO considers BF/BF-Lite (of which EWR/IAH-HNL are the only markets I know of) will not be eligible to CR1 upgrades.

SWUs will of course work but just a heads up for everyone.

[​IMG]

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm as I was on the elite line earlier today trying to do exactly that.

NOTE: SWUs will work but for the "BF Lite" flights from/to HNL-IAH/EWR it needs to be "W or above" as if it were an "intercontinental BF flight". :(

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO's upgrade policy on BF configured Hawaii flights has been clear for years since this service is pretty much the same as an oversea international one. This was also well posted on FT when this fare glitch came up. Some of us lucked out by being offered a $200 buy-up at OLCI. Maybe the gods will smile upon you too!

4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I thought that it might be the case here although as the service level has gone down on these flights, it really is now more about the "bigger seat".

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. :(

I guess the follow up question is if they put a UA domestic widebody on the route will it then be CR1-able.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine yes, but I also have to wonder what the chances of that are. Given the forthcoming conversion of the ghetto birds to international BF configs that leaves just the small fleet of domestic 777s for such service. The ORD-HNL-GUM-NRT-GUM-NRT-GUM-HNL-ORD service takes ~3 aircraft, I believe so then you're down to two others in the system. That's just enough to do EWR/IAH-HNL return but no slack in the system. Seems unlikely. :shrug:

7. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does any one have any insight as to what happens when UA & CO merge? Will the 2 class United planes(757, 767, 777) with Y and F still be UDU or CR1 eligible?

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except the last time I checked Hawaii was still a domestic flight and within region 1. How long until PS flights are excluded from CR1 use. Yet another move I don't care for.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    If service has 'gone down on these flights' I must say it was still far superior to anything I have ever had on UA's C international service. Food was excellent, service attentive, and seat comfort and space light years ahead of the new UA C seat (which I detest with a passion for its lack of privacy and dense layout). Only the small IFE screen was 2nd rate.

gleff likes this.
  10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood completely, probably should have said YMMV. The CO service on these flights back circa 2005-2009 though was unrivaled, and think it has slipped some since then, but it is still pretty darn good I grant. I just don't think it is "W" and above good. YMMV:)

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost certainly. CO feels they can extract a premium because the seat they're using is notably better than the typical domestic F option. And, for the most part, customers seem to agree.

As the new UA removes the 763 ghetto birds from the fleet (they're getting winglets and CO BF seats) it will mean there are only a handful of widebodies on domestic routes and non-premium seats.

Also keep in mind that CO has historically decided their EUA policy on how the flight is marketed, not just what the seat is. So if there is a premium market - BF (even lite) to HNL or p.s - it is unlikely that EUA/UDU would happen while in non-premium markets - GUM-NRT, IAH-EWR, SFO-HNL - the fact that it is the big seat doesn't matter.

Yes, there will need to be a reconciliation of the difference between CO and UA on this policy going forward. It will happen at some point. And almost certainly, whichever way that decision goes, people will be annoyed.

12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The reduction in CR1s starting next year has already made many UA flyers very unhappy. If they continue with reductions in elite benefits for 1Ks & 1Ps, United might really start loosing business to AA.

So the new United is renovating the 767s to be BF? I think there needs to be a balance between exclusion and rewards for elite flyers. Do you think the remaining 2 class UA planes(757, 777) to Hawaii will be UDU or CR1 eligible?

13. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think if they're treating it Y as if it is a domestic flight, then the BF/F part in regards to UDU/EUA/CR-1's should still apply. On p.s. there's a slightly better product provided on a 5 hour flight.

For the EWR/IAH-HNL flights to HNL, a 9-10 hour flight, since Y is treated like a domestic product, then the front should be privy to the same upgrade ramifications as a domestic product.

FWIW I think CO is just overvaluing it's product just like they used to do in Skyteam by claiming BF was an F product instead of a C product.

kwai likes this.
  14. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    And not only is a CR1 not useful, but an SWU will only be valid if on a W or higher fare. There's too much cherry picking here for my tastes.

Losing CR1s is bad enough. If we'll be losing the access to the very flights they are most useful for i will not be a happy buffalo.

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would they not be? When configured for standard domestic operations there is no reason not to keep CR1 advanced/guaranteed upgrading and UDU. But the airline can still designate certain routes/planes as offering a Premium service level and rightly exclude these flights from UDU and possibly CR1 upgrading. At the moment, we're talking the PS transcon service which is still CR1 eligible, and two Hawaii routes which do have an enhanced inflight service in the front cabin as well as international seating which are not upgradeable other than for cash or SWUs. Having flown the EWR-HNL I found the front cabin product equal to any overseas business class product and thus worthy of the premium, and upgrading exclusions. If CO can earn extra revenue from this, then it is rightly going to keep the barriers up until there is a change of aircraft on the two routes (to domestic versions). But remember, at 10 hours, the EWR-HNL flight is longer than most flights to Europe from either coast and there is a market for a premium product that should not be watered down by rampant upgrading. While we all like our cost-free upgrades on domestic routes, it has devalued the domestic F product to the point airlines are unable to sell this cabin at a premium. Because of this, service levels have dropped significantly from what they were pre-1990s when airlines could still sell a domestic F seat at a premium.

When I originally booked my EWR-HNL flight, the F cabin seating chart showed full but for a couple of seats. It flew out full but I am sure only a few of us were offered the OLCI upgrade option. The rest had paid full F fares as my seat mate a businessman checking out his company's operations on the Islands. There is no reason for CO/UA to give up a route that generates significant premium class revenue by lowering the standards of service and introducing free upgrading.

UA pretty much only flies domestic 757s on the route, sometimes its domestic 767s. If you want UDU or CR1 use, then I suggest you connect from EWR or IAH onto a UA metal nonstop to the Islands. There's a market for premium service and CO is meeting that market.