CO Breakfast First Class

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Dec 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am flying SEA IAH on CO's early morning flight. Could upgrade to First, but only if breakfast is better than UA's tired fruit and yogourt plate or eggs with turkey saussage. Would appreicate CO fliers comment on CO's breakfast offerings?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's usually a little better, but your mileage will almost certainly vary.

MyMiles&Points and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will get the standard Continental Breakfast which features a choice of Cereal, Fresh Fruit/Banana, & Yogurt or the hot meal option which features eggs, ham, and sausage with some accompaniment of potatoes usually served with Yogurt and Fresh Fruit as well...

Biscuits or Cinnamon Rolls as well :D

4. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I happen to actually like CO's F breakfast and always take the egg option, which usually is some sort of cheese omlette, a small piece of ham steak, and a sort of cheesey potato souffle along with a turkey sausage. You also get starwberry yogurt, a fruit medley and the FA's come around with your choice of a gooey cinimmon bun, bisquit or croissant. If you choose the cereal you still get the fruit, yogurt and bread choices.

Titans26, sfo1 and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience the difference between UA & CO breakfast in F isn't significant. CO dishes out the yogurt into a soup disk while UA gives you the plastic container. Both have an egg or cereal choice.

Titans26 and sfo1 like this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the breakfast seem pretty much the same overall, don't think it is worth wasting a CR on the flight, maybe I will just wait and see if I get a UDU instead.

7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ummmm, excuse me..... Nobody has ever mentioned CO does cinnamon rolls in the morning???
    What in the hell have I been missing all these years :eek:
    I'm thinking of changing all my morning flights on UA next month to CO metal now.
    I love cinnamon rolls :p

Ygor, DCA1K and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're quite good too.

MyMiles&Points, AZjohn and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No kidding... I love them and biscuits too... UA's breakfast offering is meh...

AZjohn likes this.
  10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate to admit, but I've succumbed to the CO cinnamon roll a few times, and I hate eating empty carbs...

Nevertheless I don't think you can find a significant difference between the two. They're both pretty light as the only meal on a morning transcon.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. ptahcha

ptahcha Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to fly AA to get biscuits in the morning.

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO has them as well. They're the other choice, besides the cinnamon rolls.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    SJO is home for me, and breakfast going north (SJO to IAH) is really quite bad. The return, however, is pretty good. I've been told that the catering at SJO is a problem for all carriers. Any tourists going home from here should eat prior to departure. You can get a good cinnamon roll or standard fast food fare in the terminal.

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  14. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmm cinnamon rolls....

15. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you really want a truly wonderful breakfast experience, fly NRT to the west coast and smell the aroma of oven baked powdered egg burritos & sausage about 90 minutes before landing. Watching people devour it makes me sick for the rest of the day. Honestly, getting through immigration without spilling my cookies from just the thought of it is an adventure in itself.

No Siree Bob, flying for the breakfast experience, any airplane breakfast experience, ain't my cup-a-tea!
    However, these 2 airlines are slowly aligning EVERYTHING, like the stuff in The United Clubs, so it's just a matter of time until the cheaper crap wins out.

lhrsfo and Flyer1976 like this.
  16. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you seen them in the last few months? I was told they had been permanently replaced by the "croissant" and haven't seen them in a while. Perhaps this is only ex-EWR.

CO's version of the "croissant" is far from being a croissant and tastes more like the cardboard tube Pillsbury uses to package dough. Don't ask me how I know that. Just take my word for it.

This is very disappointing to me as someone who doesn't usually eat breakfast and can't stomach the thought of powdered eggs. A bowl of fruit and a biscuit was perfect for me.

rggale likes this.
  17. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm mostly with Seacarl - the differences are insignificant ... except
    for the breads. CO has offered cinnamon rolls (mediocre) and biscuits
    (never had one but was tempted to once when I saw my seatmate
    devour his in seconds); UA has croissants of varying quality - sometimes
    "crescent roll" quality, sometimes almost as good as Costco ones that
    have been sat on once or twice. I am guessing it may have more to
    do with the catering station than with the nominal airline.

Scottrick likes this.
  18. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of fly the West Coast to LHR and enjoy for breakfast a stale roll full of gristle, a bag of chips and a tiny chocolate. The latter two have recently replaced a banana and a sickly sweet pot of yogurt but the gristle roll remains.

19. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    The protein with the eggs is a bit different in my experience. UA has deformed grey sausages with bland favor. CO has deformed brown (usually) sausages with some flavor (not necessarily good). There's also a "ham" on CO and a couple button mushrooms. (its all pretty blech)

The other big difference is on PMCO flights the Y cabin has a Jimmy Dean sandwich option that is loaded with sodium, but is a God-send when hungover. Occasionally a sympathetic FA well get you one gratis.

Scottrick likes this.
  20. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had a breakfast flight on CO since October. On that one (IAH-EWR), we had the biscuit or cinnamon roll option.

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm so excited that my upgrade cleared for my companion and me on tomorrow morning's 6 AM SEA-IAH. Looking forward to the deformed sausage and "ham." This is also my first time ever ( :D !!!!) getting full breakfast on domestic F. All my other morning upgrades were on red-eyes or short hops. Darn business travelers taking priority. ;)

Although I frequently get upgraded coming back IAH-SEA, the outbound is difficult because of connecting pax from ANC, the fact that I don't split my PNR when with a companion, and the fact that I only made Plat this year for the first time (1K after this trip). This upgrade justifies all my mileage runs this year.

22. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA breakfast is pretty bad...haven't had a decent one all year except on CO. I'll take plain cereal or yogurt any day over those awful egg concoctions & those beyond bad potatoes things. On my SFO-LIH flt, they added cubes of pineapple to the potatoes; I actually spit it out. Really, at this point wish UA would just give up & serve commercial (i.e. maybe Nancy) quiches & give up on all that awful crap.

Hey Scott: I commend your enthusiasm & really hope your "meal" is all that you desire!

Scottrick likes this.
  23. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No kidding. The last breakfast I had on UA, just over a week ago, was the worst I'd ever seen - it was definitely a new low. No pineapple in the potatoes, but the egg thing was just absolutely inedible and disgusting. It was a flight on a 319, and two passengers declined meals, so the FA was going around trying to give out portions of the extra meals to anyone who wanted something instead of the nasty egg thing, which only one passenger actually consumed more than two bites of. The potatoes served with it were practically raw. I don't know how you could make something that bad and sell it - did PMUA never actually sample some of what their caterers were cooking?

As for cereal, the week before that I was on a breakfast flight from MSY to DEN. It was catered with 12 hot breakfasts and 16 cold cereal trays for a 320. The FA on that one simply rearranged it all and served everybody one of everything. That was a nice change, since the eggs on that one were pretty bad (but a gourmet indulgence compared to what I saw the following week out of IAD). The prior week I was on the same flight, which was over-catered the same way, and that FA only served the eggs, didn't offer anyone a choice, and got upset when passengers who saw the cereal trays asked for one instead once they had tasted the bad food on the hot plate.

Anyway, here's hoping that PMCO breakfast standards carry forward for domestic F. I'm not a huge fan of some of what CO serves on that meal, but the worst of it is still often much better than what PMUA has been doing with domestic F breakfast hot entrées in recent days.

24. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately I am easily amused. Better food would be great, of course, but I try to enjoy anything novel.

TrippePanAM and Travelsavant like this.
  25. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    As am I, but honestly, cubed PINEAPPLE to appear same as potatoes was just too much! I thought for a moment they had added Yukon Gold potatoes to the mix...what a silly UA flyer am I. Enjoy your mystery meat "sausage". :D

TrippePanAM and Scottrick like this.