CO Booking

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by somempire, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have placed 2 award tickets with CO on hold. Our destination being Osaka with Naples as a stopover. One of our segments will be on LX F and the rest will be on LH C. I asked the agent if I can upgrade to LH F when seats are available and agent said CO do not open up LH F. Any thoughts on this?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In am not sure what it means to have award tickets "on hold.", but my understanding is that award tickets in general cannot be upgraded. So,once issued you have to cancel and rebook in a higher class...

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually they would not need to cancel the award tickets, they can cancel the space they held in I and rebook into O when it opens up.

To the OP, CO does not force LH to open up the O bucket but if you see that O becomes available then you can call it in to rebook into the higher class available and CO cannot wait-list for LH O as well.

4. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I would not have to use extra miles to rebook to LH F if space opens up since I am already booked on F class on one of my segment?

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

I would recommend you go ahead and ticket the Reward Reservation, I do not know what your OnePass Status is but it might cost you $ to make changes to the Reward inside 21 Days as a General Member.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A distinction without a practical difference? http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53698,00.html

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the MileagePlus rules, the OP posted that they are using OnePass miles so they will be following the current OnePass Rules.

The OP or anyone else cannot upgrade from I to O however since they have paid for a First Class Reward they are allowed to rebook into O when it becomes available.

8. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a general member of OP but the agent has informed if under 21 days CO will charge $75 to make changes. Thanks the clarification and help.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just so you know if you have a trip on say 2/1 and you wanted to change it to 2/23 they won't charge you the change fee as the changes are 21+ days out... however if say 2/1 to 2/3 then they will charge you for the fee.

Which LX Flight did you get by the way I'm curious.

10. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    YUL-ZRH

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That seems to be the easiest route to find LX F on...I'm still waiting for something to open up in the near future but congratulations... LX has an excellent and solid product ... Check out my Trip Report on LX.

12. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you been to Osaka?

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No but ask me next month when I go to Osaka and Fukuoka, there are some people in Teh Penalty Box that has been to KIX so you could ask them questions if you wanted to.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what confuses me. They are CO miles being redeemed on LX and LH, therefore they go by *A rules (the link that I had provided), no?

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO has different rules on how to handle *A and I have often booked or made changes under 24 hours on *A airlines so I don't really like the restrictive MileagePlus rules.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been 3 times...

Maybe they should have kept the less restrictive CO rules after the merger... I think that now the more restrictive UA rules are set to prevail...

somempire likes this.
  17. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you fly FRA-KIX?

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they go by the CO rules. You linked to the rules that apply to redeeming UA miles. If one is not redeeming UA miles then those rules do not apply. I tried to explain this once previously but apparently it didn't take.

Every program has its own rules, including redemption costs, routing policies, stopovers, change fees, etc. for the redemption of miles/points from that program. In this case the OP would be subject to the rules of OnePass and those permit changes to the award, including class of service, at any point. Because they are already redeeming for an F award there would be no additional miles charged though there might be a change fee depending on the date of travel and the date of the request.

There has been no indication that this is the case. In fact, based on the use of the sCO computer system, most of the policies that come out of such actually appear to be the sCO policies.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use CO miles, you are subject to CO rules. There might be some additional *A rules that apply to all *A carriers, for instance the examples I know are about lounge access.

20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you wondering about LH's F service?

21. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am currently booked on LH C and wondering how are the F seats availability a week before departure are like.

22. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are your dates of travel and LH F on the 744 is tough availability wise since there are only 8 F seats on the 744.

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I did not fly FRA-KIX, always TPAC...

24. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sept. and returning in Oct.

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not wish to open this can of worms but there are rules that apply to *A awards, meaning that they are restricted by availability and those that are carrier-specific (e.g., UA standard awards are just like money but they cost you more -- about 2x*A).