CO Biz/First EWR-SFO, compared to UA p.s. from JFK?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Explore, Sep 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do the two products compare, seat and service-wise? We would be on a noontime CO trip ex EWR aboard a 737-800. Does that plane have legrests and deep recline in the business cabin?

Also, how does this transcon CO service compare to run-of-the-mill domestic UA F?

Thanks

NYBanker and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The JFK transcon services on DL, UA and AA are significantly enhanced - particularly in f and j - when compared to substantially all other domestic services.

Ive flown transcon EWR-SNA on co, EWR-lax on AA, EWR-sea on co, and JFK-lax on each of UA, AA and DL, and have a pretty good perspective on the difference services offered by the legacy carriers.

If you have a choice, if you'll be sitting in front (or in j on a three class) and JFK isnt woefully inconvenient for you, the JFK services will be much nicer. I'd travel 20 minutes longer to get to JFK versus EWR to experience the incremental service. I wouldn't inconvenience myself an hour though. In between, it's a toss up.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA, AA and DL's premium cabins on the JFK-based transcons are effectively what international business class was 8 years ago. Much more spacious (except perhaps AA's j, which I wouldn't call spacious) than traditional domestic first.

4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    The plane is standard domestic configuration so the F cabin seats are the same as you'd find across the domestic CO fleet. There will be Live TV and in-seat power, but no wi-fi. Food selection is generally a notch above UAs (even compared to PS in my opinion). There's an appetizer/nuts, salad/soup, and usually three entree choices (one is usually a vegetarian pasta), and ice-cream sundaes for dessert. I'm running about 90% on cookies 90 minutes prior to landing.

As far as if CO is better than UA, it all comes down to what you value on the flight. If you don't plan on sleeping and don't need wifi, the CO product offers you the TV and decent food. If you want to sleep or need wifi, and will bring food on board, UA is the way to go. Also weigh which airport is more convenient for you, JFK vs. EWR.

On occasion the 752 is utilized on transcon routes. These planes are the international businessfirst configuration with lie-flat seats and AVOD. On these limited operations the product, hard and soft, is definitely better than UA PS (unless you need wifi or Channel 9).

Golfingboy likes this.
  5. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    What others have said.

But I would add that if you fly C/F with United p.s. you can use the Red Carpet Club (C) or the International First Class Lounge (F). Flying domestic F out of EWR won't get you that perk.

6. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA PS is much better than CO F on SFO-JFK, LAX-EWR CO operates the fully reclining business first seats on most flights which are good.

7. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not anymore; only 2 of 7 are on 752's, the remaining flights are on a 738, 739's, and 753's.

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO's 752's only have 16 BF seats, so the upgrade can be tough. UA p.s. 757 aircraft have 12 lie-flat F seats and 26 barcolounger C seats, with about 72 Y seats (allegedly all Y+ but I believe it is less pitch than normal Y+).

The CO BF product on 752's is great, it's just hard to get. The CO F product on 738/739/753 is substantially inferior to C/F on UA p.s.

If JFK isn't too inconvenient for you, I would certainly book UA p.s. over CO.

Note that UA has announced that the p.s. fleet will be refurbished which will include installation of the CO BF lieflat seat, elimination of F, 28 lie-flat C (BF) seats, and a much larger Y cabin with true Y+ and Y-. Timing was not announced.

9. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having experienced both products [EWR-SAN and JFK-LAX] I agree 100% with what Black Cloud said...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW: I just got off an SFO-EWR flight. It was a 737-900 and the aircraft had zero IFE. None.

11. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, there's a few of them in the fleet that were delivered like that from the factory. They will be retrofit with DirecTV.

12. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the 19 739ERs UA will get in 2012 will be delivered with DirecTV installed...

13. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The excuse I got was that since the seats aren't certified, they're not going to mount the IFE until that happens. Makes sense, but I dot know how accurate it is.

14. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I haven't done it yet, I would add VX to that list if you are going to be paying for F/J. Of course the downside is that you don't get a real FF program though if you are always buying premium cabins perhaps you care less about that than other.

15. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% accurate.

To clarify, the seats that CO has installed in the 737 fleet have had issues with their FAA certs...google/search on FT "koito" and you'll find out more on that issue. The seats in the dark aircraft have no IFE installed in the leased seats that CO has from Boeing. They're not gonna cut up someone elses seats only to have to take them out and put in whatever new seats they buy.

16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A fair point. I have flown VX in front, though not on the transcon. I don't think they offer anything supplemental for transcon flights, but I could be incorrect. In general, their on-the-plane experience in front is better than non-transcon f cabins on other domestic carriers. The difference is less obvious when comparing to the legacy carriers' premium transcon service, however.

On the ground, and in ff programs, the legacies beat VX handily.