CO at LHR (Terminal 4)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by yaychemistry, Jun 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be flying BHD-LHR on bmi into terminal 1, and then LHR-EWR on CO out of terminal 4 (all on one ticket) in early August. Upgrade space into Business First has opened up on the LHR-EWR leg, and I am contemplating whether it is worth it to spend the miles+$500 copay. This contemplation has lead to a few questions that I have been unable to answer via google and various websites...

1) As an upgraded (vs paid) BusinessFirst customer, would I still get lounge access at LHR, and arrivals lounge access at EWR?
    2) The BHD-LHR leg will be in economy... will I still get lounge access at BHD?
    3) How does the SkyTeam lounge in Terminal 4 (which BF has access to according to CO.com) compare with the bmi or Star Alliance lounges in Terminal 1 (would I even get a chance to access the terminal 1 lounges, or do arrivals skip the secure area?)
    4) Is there a business class benefit for inter-terminal transfers at LHR, or is it the same bus for everyone?

Now, with the steep copay, these questions are largely academic, but my curiosity has been raised.

2. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will definitely have lounge access at LHR. I have traveled there and back on upgrade inventory and had no trouble accessing lounges at either end.

I can't speak to EWR, as I'm not aware of an arrivals lounge there. If there is one, you should have no problems.

Unlikely, unless you meet whatever requirements bmi uses for lounge access (Star Alliance Gold, perhaps?).

If you are planning on entering the UK versus just using LHR for a connection, then you won't have access to the T1 lounges. If you're just looking for a place to hang out during a layover, though, you should have access to everything.

The SkyTeam lounge in T4 is vastly superior to the Star Alliance lounge in T1. Better decor, far better food selections, more space. Overall, the Star Alliance lounge is serviceable as a place to grab a snack or shower and get out of the mall spaces of the terminal, but it's nothing special.

I know OF the bmi lounges in T1, but have not experienced them, so I cannot say. They look darn nice from the pictures I've seen, though.

Same bus for all.

yaychemistry likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Yes, you get access to the lounge in LHR, paid or otherwise. For arrivals lounge access in EWR the only option is the PClub and you have to go back through security to get there. Not worth it IMO but if you really want a shower or some cheese you can convince the agents to issue you a gate pass to get by the TSA.

2) With no other credentials (i.e. *G), the rules say no.

3) It is a pretty nice lounge from what I've heard but I've never been in it myself.

4) Same.

yaychemistry likes this.
  4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    SkyTeam lounge is pretty good in LHR. Decent spread of food and drinks. Only complaint is limited comfortable seating.

rwoman, COFlyerCLE and yaychemistry like this.
  5. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! It's good to know that arriving pax get into the terminal... just in case I want to use priority pass for lounge access instead of BF ($500 copay is hard to swallow, but this will be my first and only chance for a long time to fly international C), as it appears there will be no priority pass lounges in T4 as of June 30th.

6. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an FYI if your layover is short. Its a bus trip just to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4. You also have to go through security again.

yaychemistry likes this.
  7. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worth is subjective. I personally do not spend upgrade money on westbound. It is day time and you are awake. Also LHR-EWR is fairly short.

yaychemistry likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Subjective, indeed. With booze and drugs I can sleep standing up if needed and the eastbound LHR flight can be <5 hours. If I'm going to invest in the experience I'll do it on a flight where I'm going to be conscious and enjoy it. :-:

Ygor and yaychemistry like this.
  9. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood. I on the other hand am a mess for a day or two if I don't sleep comfortably. As you inexorably make your way towards the AARP junk mail list, I think priorities will change. It did for me.

Ygor and yaychemistry like this.
  10. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wherever possible (admittedly, not often) daylight EWR-LHR is the way to go. I am almost too rested the following day!

yaychemistry likes this.
  11. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually kind of like this lounge. The breakfast is awesome! :)

rwoman likes this.
  12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should probably make a note, for anyone that stumbles across this thread in the future: the idiots* that run LHR have removed CO's name from the airline terminal list in T1 (the Star Alliance terminal) as of May. If you follow the logic that CO and UA are now the same airline you'd think that you need to go into T1, where the UA flugs leave. The folks at the security checkpoint don't stop you either.

That's not correct. CO still leaves from T4, despite being completely absent from the signage and you have to take the 15 minute bus ride. And yes, CO still uses the SkyTeam lounge. There's no signage or anything indicating that. You just have to either be obsessive and check this site or FT before your trip, ask a lot of people, or miss out on the lounge.

Hopefully this will save someone some grief making a connection in the world's worst airport.

*they really are idiots. It's easily the worst run, worst maintained, and most confusing airport in the world. How any of these people can retain their jobs is offensive to everyone that has to transit that airport. And it pains me that it's one of the most heavily taxed (from a passenger usage perspective) in the world.

COFlyerCLE and yaychemistry like this.
  13. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Exactly the debate I've been having with myself. The outbound flight is the EWR-DUB redeye, and is listed at 6 hours, the return BHD-LHR-EWR starts in the morning and is listed at 8 hours.

The lie-flat seats make the eastbound flight a good upgrade candidate, but then I won't be awake for my first transatlantic in BF! On the way back, it's a longer flight, plus I'll be awake to enjoy it! Pragmatically, only the LHR-EWR leg has upgrade space as of right now... so if I want to jump on it I'll have to cough up the $500 copay... so either direction is hard to justify :(

14. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this, very helpful. I am flying CO LHR-EWR in BF in early Aug (UA C on the outbound). Not a fan of LHR, so now I know where to go :)

15. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The market has spoken. ;)

I still think splurging for BF on such a short flight is less than optimal. Now a flight like EWR-PEK gives you enough time to do sleep and wake time.

yaychemistry likes this.
  16. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR-PEK is so long, that last time I flew it I got way too drunk, way too soon( pesky BF service topping up my wine glass after almost every sip), passed out and woke up 6 hrs later only to find out I had a pounding hangover headache and still 5 hrs left on the flight :eek:
    Learned my lesson when I went to PVG and only got moderately buzzed. :D

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Yeah, I agree. The only reason I'm tempted is a) upgrade space is available and b) I've never sat in international C before. So like I said, the questions are largely academic as the copay is just too much. Although since CO seems to be a bit of anomaly at LHR I figured it was good to ask them. :) And thanks to Black Cloud for pointing that out.

18. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    The PMCO gates in T4 will likely remain an anomaly for a while, at least until the new construction allows all the Star Alliance airlines to be co-located again.

19. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was told recently that CO's LHR-IAH flights will move to T1 late summer, but there's no time set yet for LHR-EWR to move. I don't know whether this is unfounded rumor, but the source was credible.

The other anomaly is LHR-EWR itself. The great majority of flights to NYC go to JFK - and that route has enormous business demand. The EWR route is seen as cheaper and, I understand, attracts much less business demand. In CO's case, I should imagine that the front end of the bus attracts very little O&D business, with most pax wanting to connect at EWR. This could explain why upgrades are more easily available.

20. P.S.

P.S. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the *A lounge at T1 and the Skyteam lounge at T4. The Skyteam lounge is MUCH better.

There is no arrivals lounge at EWR.

Skyteam has real food, and very nice lounge food at that. *A has junk snacks and a good seledtion of teas.

Skyteam has bright airy feel, as opposed to the dark calm feel of the *A lounge.

Superb showers and amenities in Skyteam. Even an oxygen bar.

One bus fits all.

21. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get to try out the T1 lounge for the first time tomorrow morning. I'm not expecting much but I guess we'll see.

The SkyTeam in T4 was a heck of alot better than the Star Trek themed commercial lounge.