CO 2010 SWU: Redeposited if BF Segment Doesn't Clear but Domestic Segment Does?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by yonajon, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to book SFO-IAH-AMS in July and upgrade using one of my 2010 SWUs. SFO-IAH is available in R, but IAH-AMS is not and would have to waitlist. One agent tells me that, unlike mileage upgrades, if IAH-AMS does not clear then I will not get the SWU redeposited. Another agent tells me that it works just like mileage upgrades and that if the BF segment doesn't clear, the SWU will be redeposited. The website concurs with the latter agent, but it refers to the 2011 SWUs and makes no mention of the 2010 SWUs. Who is right?

Also, is the only way to check R-class availability to call CO?

Thanks

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also check the R class by going to advanced search and checking the box for upgrade.

And there were reports last year that the BF segments not clearing will still kill the SWU, unlike the miles-based upgrades.

3. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    The website at http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/onepass/elite/swupgrades.aspx says:

I suppose if it doesn't get redeposited I can always call in and cite the site? Thoughts?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aye...if they're publishing that then you can hold them to it.

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a CO policy that I really hope carries over to the new UA. In the past you had to call in and ask the CS to just apply the SWU to just the international segment. Then if you cleared the international, you could call back and have it extended to the domestic.

The net effect is that it was quite possible to clear the international at the gate after already flying in coach on the domestic segment because you didn't want to waste the SWU.

If the new UA could actually ensure that the SWU wasn't burned if it just upgraded the domestic piece, that would turly be a change I would like.

sunseeker likes this.