CNX Things to do

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by LAXtraveler, Jan 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for advice on things to do while in CNX. Based on my reading it seems that if I want to do a day or part of a day riding elephants, or other such activities I need to get out of the city. Any suggestions for picking up a driver for the day? Is a visit to the tigers worthwhile? Any other things not to be missed out of the city? In the city, the markets are obviously on my list. Anything else?

Suggestions appreciated.

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others might disagree, but I don't think that there is much to see in Chiang Mai. Unlike the cosmopolitan and chaotic Bangkok, Chiang Mai is a charming & interesting but a little city especially the walled citadel and it will only take 3-4 days to see all. Here are some of the highlights with photos:

The ancient citadel, Tha Pae gate, and the ancient temples.
    [​IMG]
    Doi Suthep and its temple,
    [​IMG]
    The weekend market & also the famous night market .
    [​IMG]
    By-the-river entertainment with Khun Took at Le Brasserie playing real classic rock jam sessions (not some pop BS) and Thai rock favorites. There are other venues by the river hosting some of the best bands in the city, such as Riverside and Goodview. Also,the Smiling Monkey for very good late night food/entertainment with the locals.
    [​IMG]
    Outside the city, there are the human zoo of the long neck tribes-people and its child labor camps mentioned here, and the abusive elephant parks/trekking, but I don't encourage those. Baan Chang Elephant Sanctuary comes highly recommended due to its supposed humane treatment of animals.
    [​IMG]

LAXtraveler likes this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are into visiting Buddhist temples, there are many ancient ones to see in Chiang Mai. Unlike the Bangkok temples, Chiang Mai's temples are very old in comparison - some are 600 years older than their Bangkok counterparts.​
    [​IMG]
    Wat Chedi Luang was built between 1385 and 1402, during the reign of King Saen Muang Ma, 7th ruler of the Mengrai dynasty. At its peak, its chedi (pagoda) measured 60 meters across at the square base and 80 meters tall and was once the home of the Emerald Buddha, Thailand's most sacred religious relic (currently housed inside Bangkok's Grand Palace Wat Phra Kaew). Damaged during an earthquake in 1545, the chedi’s height is reduced to nearly half of its original size yet it is still an impressive structure.​
    [​IMG]
    Wat Phra Singh is a beautiful example of Lanna architecture and the second most venerated temple in Chiang Mai after Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. Built in 1345, and renovated in early 19th Century, the Lai Kam assembly hall at Wat Phra Signh is a fine example of Lanna temple architecture. It features soaring wing-shaped roofs as well as lavish wood carvings and stucco throughout. Its larger main assembly hall (Viharn Luang) houses a 15th-Century Buddha image cast from copper and gold. Viharn Luang is a completely rebuilt structure, set on the original site.​
    [​IMG]
    Wat Suan Dok, built in late 14th century, houses several structures of historical significance. From the main street, the mausoleum garden containing whitewashed pagodas fashioned in exquisite Lanna style is clearly visible. These mausoleums belong to past rulers and important nobles of Chiang Mai, starting with King Kawila (r.1802-1813) to Princess Kokaew Prakaykavil (1934-2005). The principal Buddha image is housed inside the ordination hall. Sitting at 4.7 metres tall, it is cast in the ancient Chiang Saen style.​

Steven Schwartz and LAXtraveler like this.
  4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Kalboz.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay Kal - how in the world can you keep track of all the pictures you take???!!!

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very easy ... I "park" my photos on my paid Flickr account, tag most of them, and then use a search engine to locate a certain subject. :)