CNN

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sfo1, Aug 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you get tired of watching CNN at most of the airports? It seems as though they have a monopoly in most airports in the US. The same thing over and over again. Whether it is in the lounges or near the gate, it's CNN. Too bad there are not some other choices. Pehaps the Food Channel or the Travel Channel, National Geographic or the History Channel.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least it's English (better than lounges in China or Russia where everything is in the local language), but I get tired of the same news coverage being recycled so frequently as well as the "teasers" that aren't followed up right away. More positively, I like some of the CNN International features and wish their business traveller and country/region focus series were available in the USA.

sfo1 and Bonnie like this.
  3. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I must say the International CNN..be it in hotels or airports is tedious after about 6 hours. They just take the same 2 stories and play them over and over and over and over. I swear, at any given time there are only 1-3 news stories in the world it would seem. Nothing like a week long stay abroad and watching the same CNN story every night in the hotel.

BurBunny, sfo1 and ella like this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually when sitting at the gate, it goes something like this....today, stocks made a record move to....PASSENGERS SMITH, JONES, ERICKSON AND NA...UH.....NAFTLY, UH, N-A-F-T-L-Y PLEASE COME TO THE PODIUM.

And that's IF I can hear the TV.

I'm so tired of the cable news outlets, I just read my BlackBerry for news if I'm standing in line at the gate.

The only cable news outlet worth watching in a hotel room is the BBC.

sobore, sfo1, mht_flyer and 3 others like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, CNN paid for the rights. Just like Fox has done at most of the TruckStops across the country. Given my druthers I'll take CNN. But really would like the TV's to show Globetrekker or the Travel Channel. Even CNN International interspersed would be a change.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, while we are on the subject of CNN, I am so sick and tired of watching it at home. The whole "show" as they call is based around advertisements. Use to called a news program way back when. It seems that whenever I turn on CNN there is an advertisement playing, I switch to MSNBC and guess what, an advertisement playing, what happened to competition. The news channels, and they should really be called advertsing channels with a little bit of news in between. They are so theatrical, every other word is "we go live" "live from the white house" etc. they really must think we are stupid if we can't tell for ourselves. They pick apart a speech someone has made and count the number of the same words are used over and over again, well they ought to count the number of times in an hour they go "live", and Wolfe Blitzer and his "stand by" and "your in the situation room" no, he is not, there is really only one situation room and that is in the White House, Blitzer is in a TV studio and i am in my living room, or at the airport. And HLN, well that is anther story within itself. Fox, I don't watch it. It's like they think they are talking to school children and/or stupid people, well maybe they are..Rant over.....

7. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No matter what channel I turn to, it seems like an advertisement is on!

sfo1 likes this.
  8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your pretty much correct on that, IMO it is getting out of hand. I even notice now that they now have an ad right at the end of a program and then come back to the program for just the credits. Just look at the TV programs that are on the aircraft, most of them are about 20 minutes in lenght, that means that 1/3 of the half hour is commercials, it is really disgusting. On the news shows and thats what they are, shows, they have 2/3 minutes of news and then they say we will be right back after this break, well they just had a break 5 minutes ago. TV in general is a joke. I turn off the sound whenever a commercial comes on, and I know I can do my dishes, make a bed or other things while the commercial is still on. In fact I am typing this while a commerical is on.

cordray2643 and Mapsmith like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That ratio of "show" vs. ads hasn't really changed in a long time, has it?

Watch PBS or listen to NPR. Newshour is 60 mins and that's really 60 mins of detailed news. They may not cover the latest crime story from Florida, but you get everything you need.

As far as I am concerned, they might as well turn off the TVs at the airports. It's just a waste of electricity and noise pollution. Time to get a TV-B-Gone, I guess :)

sfo1 and Mapsmith like this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, maybe not. But the ratio of actual news versus infotainment has definitely changed.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree wholeheartedly.

And as a side note. Captain Oveur, your avatar is disturbing--really really disturbing. Sort of like Miley Cyrus meets Meth, disturbing. I have nightmares that I will be on a business trip and wake up next to someone that looks like that!

sobore, kwai, BurBunny and 1 other person like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I was commenting on what I thought was referring to non-news shows (as shown on airplans... sitcoms etc.). But your point is a good one that I agree with.

13. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, that has been set by the FCC and I don't think it's changed in a very long time. In a 60-minute program, 14 minutes is the maximum permitted commercial interval, leaving 46 minutes of broadcasting, IIRC.

14. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's my driver's license picture.

Mapsmith likes this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find CNN Headline News much more obnoxious in the morning than regular CNN. I hate when they keep stressing how much they want to know what WE think. Local news programs are unfortunately heading in the same direction. I don't care what some random stranger thinks about current events and I refuse to "like" a TV station, news program, or news reader personality.

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With all due respect, that's incorrect.

The only restrictions placed on advertising set by the FCC are no cigarette ads, the consuming of alcohol and subliminal advertising (which is a little subjective anyway).

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sorry for jumping the gun there. Aside from some very small changes, TV advertising has stayed the same for awhile.

19. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    While we're at it, I propose there be a federal limit on the length of time a "story" can be considered "breaking." How about one hour.

And further, why is the story broken?

20. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. It has. Given my access to TV programming data I just went and pulled syndicated formats from the late 90's and today. You've gained about another 60-75 seconds of commercial time.

That being said, I'm all for the ads. They pay my salary :D. I also don't have a TV or radio despite being in the industry because I hate watching the buggers myself (and I don't actually fine the content all that good anyway).

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's the news that's broken. And no one seems to be interested in fixing it. Then again, CNN should by now have realized that they are on the wrong path.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't call it a "gain" :eek: